[SOLVED] New upgrades to existing build, but difficulty booting (intel -> amd)

Sep 28, 2021
New upgrades to existing build, but difficulty booting (intel -> amd).

old build (originally had windows installed on C: drive SSD) :
i7-6850k
1080ti
x99 tiger deluxe II mobo

new build (flashed bios and windows to new nVME m-2 [F: drive]):
r9-5900x
5066 royal trident gskill ram 32gb
b550 aorus pro v2 mobo

Sequence of events:
I hit power on and it booted up no problem automatically using my C: drive, but then I shutdown and launched into bios and started the bios flash, windows install onto F: drive.
I set my boot priority to the nVME drive but it does nothing and goes to the next boot priority in the list (until it hits the old C: SSD).

Should I delete the original windows download in my C: and then, move the windows install from drive F: to drive C: ?

I have two windows installed at this point, on different drives

Last edited:
Solution

i7-6850k
1080ti
x99 tiger deluxe II mobo

r9-5900x
b550 aorus pro v2 mobo

Sequence of events:
I hit power on and it booted up no problem automatically using my C: drive, but then I shutdown and launched into bios and started the bios flash, windows install onto F: drive.
I set my boot priority to the nVME drive but it does nothing and goes to the next boot priority in the list (until it hits the old C: SSD).

Should I delete the original windows download in my C: and then, move the windows...

i7-6850k
1080ti
x99 tiger deluxe II mobo

r9-5900x
b550 aorus pro v2 mobo

Sequence of events:

Should I delete the original windows download in my C: and then, move the windows install from drive F: to drive C: ?

I have two windows installed at this point, on different drives
It's most probably booting from your old drive, with Windows and most other OSs, drive/partition you are booting from is always C:
To avoid problems like that, it's best to remove/disconnect all other drives (specially when they contain another OS installation while installing OS on specific drive.

Solution
Sep 28, 2021
It's most probably booting from your old drive, with Windows and most other OSs, drive/partition you are booting from is always C:
To avoid problems like that, it's best to remove/disconnect all other drives (specially when they contain another OS installation while installing OS on specific drive.

Ahh, I did consider that but didn't do that. SO being where i am now.. what should i do?

Sep 28, 2021
Disconnect other drive and see if it will still boot from it. If it doesn't, boot is probably on second drive (spread on both drives).
Best to reinstall Windows on proper disk and after that works properly reconnect old drive and then you can clean it.

After unplugging C: it did not boot and said “Reboot and select proper boot device”

Sep 28, 2021
Is it possible when I updated the bios the first time it saved it on the old C: drive ?
Hence, I need to update bios again now that the old drive is disconnected ? I cannot tell if I need to or not

DSzymborski

Titan
You need to leave only the new OS drive installed and install Windows properly. Boot to your Windows media, wipe the new OS drive completely, and install Windows 10 to it. And only then reinstall your other drive. You've made a bit of a mess by awkwardly cloning a non-modular OS and slapping it into a new machine rather than just doing it properly from the start.

BIOS has nothing to do with this; BIOS is stored to your motherboard not on a particular OS.

Sep 28, 2021
So it booted up, it was in a rough state because it was missing files. I’ve been updating windows and downloaded GeForce experience which fixed the 800 by 600 or whatever resolution it had me stuck at first. Then pressed restart to apply the updates and restarted some more for more updates and now it boots up normally with just the 1 nVME drive plugged in. By the way I noticed a Windows.old file within this drive aswell.

now that it is booting up properly on the nVME drive, once I plug up the other SSDs again; any last things I should know before deleting windows on the old drive ?

So it booted up, it was in a rough state because it was missing files. I’ve been updating windows and downloaded GeForce experience which fixed the 800 by 600 or whatever resolution it had me stuck at first. Then pressed restart to apply the updates and restarted some more for more updates and now it boots up normally with just the 1 nVME drive plugged in. By the way I noticed a Windows.old file within this drive aswell.

now that it is booting up properly on the nVME drive, once I plug up the other SSDs again; any last things I should know before deleting windows on the old drive ?
Old drive is most probably also partitioned into partitions no longer used and so are waste of space. Best thing would be to clean it up of all partitions and leave it as one partition. That would also delete everything from it so you should copy all personal files first. Most programs would not work either if you start them from new disk.

Reactions: bruttix212