new usb 1 tb drive not working now

thebuilder79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
hi, im bobby and i just bought a generic 1 tb usb external hard drive on ebay. i unboxed it plugged it into my computer and then went to windows explorer to check the drive size and all was well. so then i went to format it to make sure it was clear of everything to start with a clean drive. the format box came up and clicked on quick format sense there was no files to worry about. well needless to say i lost power and it stopped in the middle of formatting so now everytime i plug the drive in it says it needs to be formatted and when i click ok to format it dont seem to do anything. so then i downloaded aomei portition and deleted the protition so i can re portition the drive and now its setting here at 2% and has been at 2% for the last hour. can someone please explain to me what may be going on with this new never used 1 tb usb external hard drive

"needless to say i lost power and it stopped in the middle of formatting"

That's the worst moment to lose power... usually that ends up with the drive becoming unusable, you could try using Seagate Tools to try to fix the Disk, can't say for sure it will work though.

thebuilder79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
yep. i tried that one also. i finnally decided to open the drive up and hooked it to a sata connection inside my computer to elimanate the slow usp speed. and am now running aomei portition software on it at 6% it found 38 bad sectors so far. i think this is one of them deals where the drive was modifyed to say its a bigger drive then it really is. when i opened it the drive says it is a wd scorpio blue and when i ran wd portition software it said no wd drives found. so with all the clues, i think i was scammed on ebay yet again. i just opened it 3 hours ago]

thebuilder79

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
that is what happened. i called wd because when i opened it up theres a sticker on the drive with wd scorpio blue on it and when i called wd about it. they said the sn i gave them is not one of theirs. as far as i can tell its only a 300.71 mb drive. everything after that is space that the software thinks is there but not phyically there. so think god i got my money back. thank you so much for your time. i have reported this to wd and ebay. they are now going to investigate this.

TRENDING THREADS