Question new USB flash drive crashes bios?!

carbide

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi there,

Been running mem test on a really small, cheap USB flash drive. Recently bought a 3 pack of sandisk blade 16gb flash drives, (they looked a little more rugged) and formatted one with the memtest usb utility (which I used for the previous one). When I use the drag and drop boot order on the front page of the bios (which i normally use to pull the bootable drive to the top of the boot order) it freezes the bios, forcing a restart. If i set the boot order in the advanced mode, via drop down list it's fine.

The disk works fine booting into memtest from it, and they all work fine in windows etc.

What's up with these flash drives? they're usb 2.0, get ok transfer rates, I'm just a little confused as to why, or how they freeze the bios drag drop, yet function ok in all other scenarios!

carbide

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
well, as long as it's nothing glaringly obvious, i'll just not use the drag/drop functionality again.

Out of interest, is there ever a risk you could corrupt a bios by invoking a freeze situation like that, or, as the flash process is once only, they're pretty rugged to corruption?