Hi,

A new user account called ASP.NET has all of a sudden
appeared on my computer and I did not install it.

Can I just delete it or is it linked to some part of XP?

Cheers

Andy

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net
Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created
for the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information
Services to fully support ASP.net on your web server (This is pretty much
its only use, it is not used to run normal .net managed executables) . There
is not a need to worry about this users presence, it was not created in
malicious way.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

"Andy Wilson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A new user account called ASP.NET has all of a sudden
> appeared on my computer and I did not install it.
>
> Can I just delete it or is it linked to some part of XP?
>

> Cheers
>
> Andy

Hi Andy
This user is connected with the .Net Framework 1.1. It is created when you
install this on Windows XP for security purposes, so that should you host an
asp.net website on your machine using internet information services, the
worker process which handles asp.net locally on your machine is running as a
restricted user account, rather than having administrator or system level
access on your machine if it were to be exploited.

For some more details see:
http://mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

---
Mark Salloway
Windows MVP

"Andy Wilson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A new user account called ASP.NET has all of a sudden
> appeared on my computer and I did not install it.
>
> Can I just delete it or is it linked to some part of XP?
>

> Cheers
>
> Andy

I did find a use for Net Framework 1.1 the only use known to mankind. You
need it to install vegas video v5.0a. Of course after it's installed you
uninstall Net Framework 1.1 just as fast as you possibly can and wonder did
i dream the whole thing after you uninstall Net Framework 1.1.