New User to Linux - Many questions

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am a new user to Linux because I am totally fed up with shelling out $200+ for Windows OS and another $200 for Microsoft office every time I get a new computer. (So far I think I spent enough for a 1 week vacation to Bori Bori at a 5 star hotel).

Anyhow, I just got a new computer yesterday, here are the specs

Asus P8Z77-V-LK
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 TI
8 gigs DDR3 Ram.

After deciding to give Windows the boot, I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) version. Now I am having problems installing the drivers for the above mentioned graphics card. I have downloaded the linux version of the drivers for the graphics card, but I got a file called *nvidia-linux-x86_64-304.51.run. When I double click this file, a white popup shows up but after a while it closes itself then did nothing.

My second concern is, I have 2 x 120 gigbyte SSD hard drives, one of which is currently containing Ubuntu, however I am not noticing the second hard drive.

Any help with these problems is greatly appreciated!

Solution
Good to try out Linux, but that graphics card is going to waste in an operating system that will be unable to play most games. WINE is very limited in what it can do for you - DirectX-only games (the vast majority of modern PC games) won't run. You also don't need to buy Windows/Office for each new computer by the way - reinstall from the discs you already bought :p

Anyway just for your understanding of how things install in Linux, it's done primarily through an application called the package manager. This works much like the app stores on smartphones and tablets - a single location to search for, download, install and uninstall software. One of Linux's nicest features I think. In Ubuntu you've got Software Centre, which is the place...

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Ummm Raid?, No I don't think so, all I did was plug those two SSD hard drives into 2 sata ports. Then I just installed Ubuntu on the fresh harddrive, one of them isn't showing tho.

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
Where exactly can I find this software repository? Sorry, I am a total linux noob.

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
The update manager does not work, after everything has been updated, my graphics still shows as VESA: GK104 Board - 20040001

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
If I remember right there should see an icon that looks like a piece of hardware in the upper right corner. If you hover over it, it will say something like "additional drivers". This will allow you to install the correct drivers for your graphics card.

If it's not there, search for "additional drivers" in the Ubuntu menu.

Geertt2

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2012
the "additional drivers" does not work either. When I try to install, it keeps saying that it failed and please access /var/log/jockey.log which I do not have a clue where it is located or how to access it even.

The error message is giving you the exact path to the file in question (/var/log/jockey.log). You can open a console window and type "cat /var/log/jockey.log" to view the contents. You should see what the problem is there.

Good to try out Linux, but that graphics card is going to waste in an operating system that will be unable to play most games. WINE is very limited in what it can do for you - DirectX-only games (the vast majority of modern PC games) won't run. You also don't need to buy Windows/Office for each new computer by the way - reinstall from the discs you already bought :p

Anyway just for your understanding of how things install in Linux, it's done primarily through an application called the package manager. This works much like the app stores on smartphones and tablets - a single location to search for, download, install and uninstall software. One of Linux's nicest features I think. In Ubuntu you've got Software Centre, which is the place to go for getting software. Ubuntu also has the biggest software repositories (the servers Software Centre connects to in order to fetch your software).

I'm not suggesting scrapping Linux, but if you want to game (and a quality card like that suggests that you do) then you should run both Windows and Linux.

Solution

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
One compromise for your situation - assuming that you want to play games - is to run Windows as your OS but run open source applications (like Libre Office) to replace MS Office. Then you can at least save the $200 on Office. If you aren't gaming, does Ubuntu run normally other than this driver issue?

Excellent suggestion by Aristotelian - I was going to suggest that also. I'd never consider buying Office now - it's superior, but not in any way that really benefits me. Check out http://alternativeto.net/ for alternative applications to do the same job.

Purchase the computer with an OS install, then purchase an OEM version of the OS (about $100 if I recall correctly). Use Libreoffice instead of MS Office. Done.

mtxpeterson

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
You still going to have to pay for something to run an OS. Whether it is for the OS, or the materials to burn to/with. If you feel like doing research, got another PC hooked to the internet, have the time to test; Go to your local store and buy some usb sticks, or pack of blank CD-R's and DVD's. Then go to distrowatch, search through the os they have, and just download distros that might make good use of your system. Burn them, or use Unetbootin to put compatible iso's on the usb sticks. (Pretty sure you know how to do that, just saying) Testing and patience. New to it, you just have to explore the choices out there. I agree with the people that say you should also dual boot with windows to make use of your hardware eventually.