New Vapor-Chamber Cooling Solution Coming to ATI Graphics Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
What?? follow Novidia's lead & put a better cooler on the cards good one.
What happened with the GF8800GT's then that cooler was a joke when it was released still is. The only thing Novidia is good for is putting really big shrouds over their heatsinks to make their cards look bigger...lol

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
oh yeah & almost forgot Novidia is also good for renaming the same chips several times to newer bigger names so they can trick the public into buying the same thing twice. Also just so everyone knows I used to be a huge Novidia fan up until this renaming crap they have been doing for the last 1.5 years & over charging for their products it was not until AMD/ATI
came out with a product that competed that Novidia brought their prices down & no they did not do it out of the goodness of their hearts for you the customers they did it because they were getting spanked in sales.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]oh yeah & almost forgot Novidia is also good for renaming the same chips several times to newer bigger names so they can trick the public into buying the same thing twice. Also just so everyone knows I used to be a huge Novidia fan up until this renaming crap they have been doing for the last 1.5 years & over charging for their products it was not until AMD/ATIcame out with a product that competed that Novidia brought their prices down & no they did not do it out of the goodness of their hearts for you the customers they did it because they were getting spanked in sales.[/citation]
I'd recommend you read some Adam Smith, and then take some economics 101, this way meybe you'll understand that no company does nothing "out of the goodness of their hearts".

And yes, Nvidia is acyually using better coolers now (they learned after the 8800 GT stock cooler fiasco), so yhea, they beated ati to that one.

As for the vapor(ware) cooler, if it's silent i'll welcome it with open arms (unless it's too expensive, of course)

lopopo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
i would hope that this is just a starting point for this tech. 15% over stock is good but not enough to make me moist over a new graphic card...
..............i would like to see 30% cooling performance with a modest $ increase.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
It seems many younger people don't understand some concepts of economics. Companies are out to make money, period. If a massive cooler performs marginally better than a cheaper one, it probably isn't going to make it. Companies cut corners to make higher profits. A few pennies here can mean dollars in the end, in a simpler way. If this is cheaper to manufacture over the current model and benefits a company, I can see it being used. If it doesn't, well, then it won't be used. Nothing is free in economics.

G

Seems that nvidia is behind ATI in technology (DX), performance and now, in cooling efficiency.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
It wasn't the cooler that was crap at 8800GTs, it was the fact that the fan started to spin faster at a very high temp.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]It wasn't the cooler that was crap at 8800GTs, it was the fact that the fan started to spin faster at a very high temp.[/citation]

This is exactly what a poor cooler will do. By not being able to dissipate the heat efficiently, the fan as too spin faster to compensate. This of course translate to more noise and a reduced life expectancy of the product.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]i got an 8800GT with the stock cooler (slim) - wtf are you talking about? have you ever owned one yourself?[/citation]

Chances are he has not. I think he meant to be more specific but has no experience with Nvidia cards. He was probably thinking of the 8800 Ultra card which ran quite hot. The 8800's in general did not have this issue and still don't.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]i got an 8800GT with the stock cooler (slim) - wtf are you talking about? have you ever owned one yourself?[/citation]
Yes, that's why I replaced it with a TT DuOrb, my ears thank me every day.

G

I work in a tech shop and we get dead 8800gt's all of time. Your anecdotal evidence is not meaningful. The 8800gt is a crap card.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Looking at that pic, if they threw that much copper and aluminum at a regular heatsink/fan it would be 15% better. Any word on power draw? I wonder how it stacks up in the notebook sector as far as small coolers go?

G

@ ping pong, you clearly don't know what you're talking aobut... while the HD 4850 defeats the 9800 GTX in terms of power, it is far hotter and draws a lot more power. DX10.1 is useless at this point too.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Most after-market cooler reviews I've seen show between 25-40% performance increase over the stock coolers. 15% is almost laughable. If it becomes the stock cooler then the gain would certainly be appreciated. I personally don't buy video cards that have the stock cooler on them. I'll wait until I see a model with a Zalman or ThermalRight cooler or just about anything non-stock.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Ok yes i have owned pretty much all Nvidia cards for a long time & a few ATI cards as I upgrade when a new product comes out that will over take my current card. I had a 8800GT 1GB you know the one with the small fan that would pretty much run like a jet when the card started to get very hot. This card I ended up modding & replacing the cooler with a duo orb cooler & then reflashing it to a 9800GT card you know just like Nvidia did with the first batch of 9800GT's & it ran fine & oc's to 750core & 2200 mem it is now in a backup gaming system that friends use when we lan party for the weekends. I now have a AMD/ATI 4870x2 Sapphire which I would not trade for any current Nvidia offering it is oced to 800 for the cores & 1000x4 memory which totally rips through all of the games I have at 1080P max details. I am looking for a replacement cooler for this card as well that I deem as good because I run the fan at 53% which is the point where it starts to get noisy but no where near what the cooler on the 8800GT was unless you increase to about 70% then the ATI card just sounds totally sick.

I also owned the first 8800GTX was a good card ran pretty warm & I would have kept it but it finally died a horrible death memory went bad had it replaced gave it to a friend for almost nothing. so yeah I was a very big nvidia fan up until they started all this renaming crap & over the top pricing because AMD/ATI did not have anything that was as fast at the time.

ph3r0c1ty

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
sorry aboout anonymous
But if you havent noticed, its a passive cooler...
Usually passive coolers have a decrese rather than increse in cooling performance and so, 15% increse over stock active cooler is alot, if you add a fan to it, it will be alot more than 15%.
Corret me if im wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.