New Video Card and Power Supply. Crashing starts.

realmfg

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hello,

Im not tech savvy so bear with me. I just got a new Sapphire Radeon 5770 1G video card and a 600W power supply.

Before that I had an onboard graphics card and a 250W power supply.

But now after the new install, my computer starts crashing. I havent even tried playing the video game I got all this new stuff for, I open up a program thats moderately intensive and my computer crashes.

Can someone help me figure out whats causing the problem and how to fix it?

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
System Model AY030AA-ABL CQ5320F
System Manufacturer Compaq-Presario
System Type x64-based PC

There is some more information. Let me know if you need some more.

try running memtest it a program to test you memory in your system. with the new video card you may be using a new range of ram and it has a bad bit. also a program called hardware monitor...with just your desktop up see and watch the power supply voltages. 12v 3.3 and 5v lines. if they go to low or too high they can cause issues. also check with the pc running your friend plugged the cpu fan in and it spinning..with the power off and the ps unplugged (some mother boards hold power). check that your ram dimms are seated...there the parts with the two white clips on them in the photo.. sometime when you move a pc from point a to point b things can get bounce. also check that all the plugs are pushed in. on the mb and drives.

realmfg

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Oh, damn. Thanks Rick.

Do you guys think it might be a capacity issue at all? The only program I am running only takes up like 10%-30% of computer usage. I used that GPUz program and these are the stats.

26e.png

Once I get everything hooked up properly, do you guys think everything will run smooth?

realmfg

Honorable
May 19, 2012
My old video card was an onboard one so I do not know how to uninstall old drivers.

I downloaded AMD Vision Control Centre and when I go to software update it says it is up to date.

Would uninstalling the old driver possibly help then? If so, how would I go about doing it?

Download Driver Sweeper.
Look in the control panel. Add remove programs or Programs and apps under win 7.
Look for the driver there. Uninstall it.
Reboot into safe mode and run driversweeper for your old card to remove left over remnants.
Reboot in normal mode and reinstall your new driver.