Question New video card boot to black screen

Dec 4, 2019
Issue: Black screen when boot. Cannot see BIOS setup screen.
Video card: Zotac GeForce GTX 950 - PCIe 3.0 X16
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M Pro PCIe 2.0 X16
CPU: Xeon E3 1270 No integrated video support.
PSU does have VGA cable and connected.
  1. I have tested the video card on another motherboard and it works! However, the working MB (Gigabyte B75M-D3H) supports PCIe 3.0 X16.
  2. The Asus P8P67-M Pro has three PCIe 3.0 X16 slots. I have tired them all with only the Zotac card in. All same black boot screen.
  3. PSU VGA cable connected and the fan on Zotac spins.
  4. I have tried connecting the monitor to the DVI or HDMI port on the Zotac card. Same problem.
  5. BIOS settings: The only thing I found is the speed of the PCIe Slot 3, auto, or X2, or X4. Tried them all, no luck.
My first guess was that the motherboard is PCIe 2.0, which may not compatible with my PCIe 3.0 video card. However, a lot of articles on the Internet says that a PCIe 3.0 video card CAN work on a 2.0 motherboard. So I am very confused. Any ideas?

Update:
  1. Even though the booting screen is black, after three beeps and three long pauses, the screen shows a “Black Screen With Blinking Cursor in the Top Left Corner”, but not able to boot.
  2. If I insert two video cards: a PCIe 2.0 video card in slot 2 and Zotac card in slot 3, and connect each card to a monitor, it CAN boot, and BOTH monitors show boot screen of BIOS! After booting into windows, the device manager shows two cards, but the Zotac card shows “not enough resource” error and I cannot enable the 2nd monitor which connected to the Zotac card.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS