[SOLVED] New Video Card - No Signal - No motherboard Video Input

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Hi there!

I just purchased an Omen 30L desktop computer and replaced the GTX 1660 Super with an RTX 2070 Super. The video card is connected to a Dell S2417DG monitor via DP and HDMI. The desktop powers up and the video card fans spin, but there is no signal coming to the monitor, even after resetting it to factory default. The connections are secure, and the monitor does not receive any signal at any point on any input. There is no motherboard video output, so I cannot connect the monitor to the motherboard for configuration.

Will this require reconnecting the retail video card (GTX 1660 Super) and configuring it to run the RTX 2070 Super from there? If so, how? If I install the 2070 drivers with the 1660 installed, will the computer become unstable?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Solution
I have solved the problem, but for your curiosity, the PSU is a 500-watter. I don't know much about power supplies other than the watt-rating, but I used an online calculator before installing the new video card and determined that it should be fine even under max load.

Could you upload an image of the PSU label to a photo-hosting site? HP and Dell do tend to use competent manufacturers like Delta and FSP, but it's still useful to see and check the +12V rating. If this was a new PC, I expect it's a modern enough PSU that the full or near full 500W can be used in +12V power, but it's always good to check PSU information with a new GPU. Especially a GPU that likely cost you $500!

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
The next thing would be to see if your old GPU still works, which will help narrow down where the problem is. And don't hook up both DP and HDMI. Keep it to one thing and simplify the troubleshooting.

No signal regardless of how many cables are connected.

I have connected the monitor to my laptop via HDMI. The display works fine on the laptop. I have just re-seated the old video card and connected the monitor back up to it. Everything works fine.

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
...also, just to cover the basics, BOTH power connectors on the 2070 Super are occupied, yes? Not just one?

Yes, both power connectors were occupied.

After re-seating the old video card, I performed the initial Windows 10 setup. After that, I downloaded and installed the drivers for the 2070 Super from the NVIDIA website. Finally, I removed the old video card and re-seated the new one. The computer booted fine.

The driver package that I installed contained drivers for both the GTX 1600 series and the RTX 2000 series by default. The only thing I can think of to explain the no signal issue was that the drivers loaded into the PC upon purchase were for the GTX 1660 only.

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Now, what are the exact specifications of the power supply? While premade PSUs have generally gotten better over the years, they're still not known for including PSUs with significant headroom beyond what is needed for the original specs.

I have solved the problem, but for your curiosity, the PSU is a 500-watter. I don't know much about power supplies other than the watt-rating, but I used an online calculator before installing the new video card and determined that it should be fine even under max load.

DSzymborski

Titan

Could you upload an image of the PSU label to a photo-hosting site? HP and Dell do tend to use competent manufacturers like Delta and FSP, but it's still useful to see and check the +12V rating. If this was a new PC, I expect it's a modern enough PSU that the full or near full 500W can be used in +12V power, but it's always good to check PSU information with a new GPU. Especially a GPU that likely cost you $500!

Solution

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
He's probably around 300W, so while I'd recommend a new 550W at least if someone's actually getting a PSU, if the +12V rail gets near 500W, he's probably OK for a few years.
Aye, I just like being a bit more on the safe side. I could probably live with a 550W though, but if it was my own build I'd pick 600W. xD

It's a Cooler Master PSU.

+3.3V 8A
+5.08V 15A
+12V 40A
+5.08Vsb 4A

I'm going to cannibalize this PC and create a custom build. I have an 850-watt Corsair CX850 semi-modular PSU from a previous build that I will use. The HP motherboard goes in the trash where it belongs.

Last edited: