Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I currently spec is

Athlon XP2400 Tbredb
KT333 chipset
512mb RAM
Radeon 8500 64MB retail

Obviously my video card is struggling in the latest games so I'm thinking
about upgrading to the Geforce 6600GT and maybe purchasing another 512mb of
RAM. Or would building a new system - Athlon 64 3400, PCI-E motherboard, and
possibly the Radeon X800XL be more justifiable?

Bascially all I'm asking is will my current system with the Xp2400 and
geforce 6600GT be able to keep up with modern games (doom 3, half life2) at
max settings 1024*768 x 4FSAA 8x AF? If not I'm going to splurge and
upgrade. The Athlon 64 3000 90nm looks like a good overclocker on stock
cooling?

Cheers
Dan

"Wookie" <Tom@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In the very least you could upgrade the video card first and see it does
> the trick for you ... if not go from their .. it's like upgrading in the
> installment plan.

Normally, this would be solid advice, but it's more tricky when he has an
AGP based system now and wants to go to PCI Express if a new video card and
more memory doesn't give the kind of boost he's hoping for. Of course,
depending on how he feels about it, the original poster could buy a new AGP
video card from a store with a decent return policy and return it if it
doesn't give satisfactory results.