New video card

Died quickly

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
well right now i have 2 evga 275 oced cards running in sli mode right now...i was looking at the ati 5870s and wondering if it would be a worthy upgrade to get 2 of those....i am looking forward to bad company 2, aliens vs predator and other new games coming out that would utilize dx11...just wondering what everyones opinion is on this

Looking here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,2491-7.html

it says: "I don’t recommend upgrading your graphics card unless the replacement card is at least three tiers higher. Otherwise, the upgrade is somewhat parallel and you may not notice a worthwhile difference in performance."

The 5870 is 2 tiers higher and Dx11 won't be meaningful for quite a while.....so I agree with THG and say stand pat until you'll see something that will garner more than an improvement.

Died quickly

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009

yes all evga mbs will run crossfire but they wont advertise it due to them being a nvidia dealer

Ok then I am with jack on this one! Until we have some real DX11 games out and it is proven to be visually much better than DX10 there is no reason to upgrade from 2x GTX275 since they handle everything that gets thrown at them on your resolution.

Currently, two 5870s is a rather insane amount of power. Of course, as always happens games will come out that will test those cards and leave your current 275s feeling lacking, but that is some time away. I can't imagine you would notice the difference without looking at an fps counter, so I say wait until prices of the 5800 series come down and you find a game that you actually feel you need an upgrade to experience fully.