New video editing software

I haven't yet seen many comments on two newer video editing programs:

Vegas Video+DVD - is this just an upgrade to Screenblast? Any thoughts on
it?

Pinnacle Studio Plus v9 - Is this just Studio 9 with some additional
capabilities? Does anybody know if Pinnacle may have improved some of their
well-known reliability problems in the software?

The reasons I ask is that I'd like to upgrade, I have Screenblast and it is
rock-solid. I also have Studio 7, avoided Studio 8, and have been reading
the Studio 9 problems. I like the Studio interface a lot better, but
Screenblast is more reliable. I'm wondering which (if either) packages to
upgrade to.

Prime

Studio 9 is reliable for me. I think the plus version includes compositing.

Prime wrote:
> I haven't yet seen many comments on two newer video editing programs:
>
> Vegas Video+DVD - is this just an upgrade to Screenblast? Any
> thoughts on it?

Vegas Video+DVD is what Sony renamed Screenblast. Other than that, (I
think) it's the same package.
If you "really" want to upgrade, go for Vegas 5 ($400.00 upgrade price) or
Vegas+DVD Production Suite ($600.00 upgrade price). Take a look at the
comparison chart at http://tinyurl.com/4yegv to see the differences between
what you currently have and what you get with the upgrade. You can also
download a trial version of Vegas if you'd like to experiment with it.
BTW, I've been a Vegas user since Vegas Audio 1.0 and it's the most solid
piece of software (all versions) I've ever owned.

Mike

> Pinnacle Studio Plus v9 - Is this just Studio 9 with some additional
> capabilities? Does anybody know if Pinnacle may have improved some of
> their well-known reliability problems in the software?
>
> The reasons I ask is that I'd like to upgrade, I have Screenblast and
> it is rock-solid. I also have Studio 7, avoided Studio 8, and have
> been reading the Studio 9 problems. I like the Studio interface a lot
> better, but Screenblast is more reliable. I'm wondering which (if
> either) packages to upgrade to.
>
> Prime

>The reasons I ask is that I'd like to upgrade, I have Screenblast and it is
>rock-solid. I also have Studio 7, avoided Studio 8, and have been reading
>the Studio 9 problems. I like the Studio interface a lot better, but
>Screenblast is more reliable.

Prime, you can score the new Vegas Movie Studio 4 (they dropped the screen
blast name) as an upgrade for only $29.99. In fact, any past sony screen blast
or sonic foundry video factory version gets you the low upgrade price. Note:
2000/XP only for OS now.
They added the sony DV codec (Hugh deal in this price range), trimmer,
transitions, filters (tons), real dvd authoring.

Prime, what things about Pinnacle Studio interface make things easier for
you? What task are you looking to do? I and others can help you with Movie
Studio.

Craig H.

highpeaksvideo@aol.com (HighPeaksVideo) posted the exciting message

>>The reasons I ask is that I'd like to upgrade, I have Screenblast and
>>it is rock-solid. I also have Studio 7, avoided Studio 8, and have
>>been reading the Studio 9 problems. I like the Studio interface a lot
>>better, but Screenblast is more reliable.
>
> Prime, you can score the new Vegas Movie Studio 4 (they dropped the
> screen blast name) as an upgrade for only $29.99. In fact, any past
> sony screen blast or sonic foundry video factory version gets you the
> low upgrade price. Note: 2000/XP only for OS now.
> They added the sony DV codec (Hugh deal in this price range),
> trimmer,
> transitions, filters (tons), real dvd authoring.
>
> Prime, what things about Pinnacle Studio interface make things
> easier for
> you? What task are you looking to do? I and others can help you with
> Movie Studio.
>
> Craig H.

First, thanks to all for comments.

My two biggest dislikes of Screenblast were the cryptic way to adjust
sound volume within clips (sound "envelopes"), and the lack (apparently)
of an automatic scene detection capability. There are a lot of other
features I really like, though.

I also like the bulletproof execution without crashes!

Prime

>My two biggest dislikes of Screenblast were the cryptic way to adjust
>sound volume within clips (sound "envelopes"), and the lack (apparently)
>of an automatic scene detection capability. There are a lot of other
>features I really like, though.
>
>I also like the bulletproof execution without crashes!
>
>Prime

Audio envelopes aren't hard to use. Don't know of any other system that
makes it easier. Does Studio even offer that feature? If so, how does it
work?
The Screenblast capture program will do DV tape scene detection. It's an
option under the prefs menu. Do you need optical scene detection for analog
tapes? If so and Studio offers it, you should be able to capture in Studio 7
and use the clips in Screenblast. Do a short test to check.

Craig H.