New video Workstation build (not used for gaming) comments sought for components.

kdkrone

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
I am looking to build a new workstation in the next 1-2 months which is to replace an Intel i5-3550 CPU, ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard with 32 GB RAM, NVidia P400 graphics adapter with multiple SSDs and runs Windows 10. The system is used to evaluate a large number of static black and white images as well as standard business applications. This is not for gaming. I find that my present system, although rock solid, slows down on occasion quite significantly, and I would just like something faster. I do no gaming. So one big question is : what IS the difference between a workstation motherboard and a gaming motherboard??

I am planning to spend up to $3000 or so, although there is no reason to purchase more than I need except for “future proofing”. My questions standard one about CPU overkill, motherboard manufacturer reliability, and RAM speed. Here is my initial take on a system:

CPU: i9-7900X is this crazy overkill?
MB: ASUS WS X299 PRO or other X299 board. Does ASUS still produce a reliable product? I have used them for 15+ years, but I have not kept up with other manufacturers. I need one or 2 PCI 3 x 16 slots, at least 4 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports (or 2 more 3.0 ports), some latest and greatest newer USB ports, only 1 GB LAN port, and every motherboard manufacturer makes a board that fills those requirements. Reliability is the key here.
MEMORY: DDR 4 Corsair? Kingston? Speed—3200? Where is the sweet spot of value in memory speed? I think the bang for the buck is more memory over speed. I know that at some point speed will not be seen in the real world applications. Thoughts?
PSU: I have used Corsair HX without failure for many years, but have heard good things about EVGA SuperNova 650W P2…others?
CASE: Fractal Design R5
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
GPU: NVidia Quadro P2000 GPU (required by my main application) to run three monitors: 2 - 2160 x 3840 monitors and 1 – 1920 x 1080

Your comments are appreciated,
Ken K

Twistfaria

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2016
What kind of software are you running to do your black and white evaluations? With that CPU on the table I'm assuming that the software you use can utilize multiple cores/threads? I'm in no way an expert but have you checked out any of the newer workhorse Ryzen CPUs? They might have enough power and be much cheaper for a workstation. The Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz has 8 cores and it's only a little over 300$USD if you need more cores the Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz has 12 and is around 400$USD there is also a 16 core one as well. I would think any of these would be more cost effective for a workstation.

I'll let someone else answer about motherboards as I'm looking for that same type of advice.
Cheers!

For future proofing and overkill cpu :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor ($898.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - MEG X399 CREATION EATX TR4 Motherboard ($499.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($311.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP - EX920 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11AIR ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($124.79 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Other: Enermax LIQTECH TR4 360mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooler Exclusive for AMD Threadripper Processor with 100% Str4 HIS Coverage, 500W+ TDP and Patented Shunt Channel Technology, ELC-LTTR360-TBP ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2414.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-17 02:43 EDT-0400

Now I have 1 important question : the photo analysis software utilizes both cpu and gpu? (task manager utilization showing 80+ for both cpu and gpu?)

Is the gpu ram size significant?

If yes, a bigger gpu can help you. Is your software optimized for Radeon pro cards or only for Nvidia Quadro cards? If it's optimized for Radeon cards, you can get a Vega Frontier edition which has 16gb ram and see a nice performance increase.

kdkrone

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Thanks to tsistfaria and lucky_sls for responding. The primary software that I use is called RadiantViewer and another is called BViewer, both being used for evaluating medical images. The build suggested was done so by the developer of RadiantViewer and the BViewer software was specifically written for NVidia graphics cards about 6-7 years ago (Quadro K2000, which is legacy now and presumably replaced by the M and P series). The business applications come into play with high CPU usage when scanning large amounts of forms; presently when they are being scanned and OCR'd, things slow to a crawl for 5-10 minutes. I will use the info provided to do some research into the AMD CPU and boards. I have been an Intel guy since the 8086 chip except for one rig I built for my daughter about 15 years ago...