New vs old setup? (Budget)

Lightpino

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hello, I am helping a friend of mine with a new PC and we've come to the following specs (see build #1) for ~ € 750 total (including storage and accesories). Now my friend is offering me his 3 year old pc which would bring the price to ~ € 400 total (see build #2). The problem is that his old pc is being bottlenecked by the CPU as its single core threading is ''terrible'' (his words) and the motherboard supports DDR3 ram which may become obsolete one day. The PC of my friend has been used a lot each day without overclocking. She is planning to use the pc mostly for gaming.

Now my final question is: Would the old pc (build #2) be worth the € 400 euro, and would it last for several years (with space to upgrade the CPU and ram) or would you suggest building the whole new pc for ~ € 750?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------------------
Build #1 (new, € 750):
Motherboard: MSI B250M Bazooka (Socket 1151)
CPU: i5-7500 3,4 GHz (3,8 Ghz turbo boost, Kaby Lake-S)
GPU: Second handed GTX 770 (GV-N770OC-4GD)
RAM: 8 Gb DDR4

Build #2 (3 years old, € 400):
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 (AM3+)
CPU: AMD FX-8320, 3,5 GHz (4,0 GHz Turbo Boost)
GPU: GTX 1060 4Gb (04G-P4-3966-KR)
RAM: 16 Gb DDR3

Solution
Ram being obsolete is never an issue. Technically it is already since ddr4 is mainstream. With older ddr2, the cpu is the issue. With ddr3, that cpu is the issue. The cpu is already bad for gaming and there is no upgrade as it's about the best for that platform. It's not going to last and offers no upgrades. They maybe bought it 3 years ago but it's a 5 year old cpu and was worse than other cpus for gaming since its release.
Ram being obsolete is never an issue. Technically it is already since ddr4 is mainstream. With older ddr2, the cpu is the issue. With ddr3, that cpu is the issue. The cpu is already bad for gaming and there is no upgrade as it's about the best for that platform. It's not going to last and offers no upgrades. They maybe bought it 3 years ago but it's a 5 year old cpu and was worse than other cpus for gaming since its release.

Solution