[SOLVED] New WD Blue 4TB not working or spinning (redundancy check error)

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
So I've just got a new WD40EZAZ, it's WD Blue 4TB.

Connected to my PC, it won't spin at all. Windows 7 wouldn't even see it in Computer Management. I connect it to the power supply the same way all other SATA are connected. I even took out all drives except for the Windows one, and it won't see it.

I connected it to my Windows 7 laptop using a SATA to USB adapter with an external power supply, and still can't hear or feel it spinning, nor even when I just connect the power cable to it.

On the laptop, Computer Management did see it and asked to initialize. I chose GPT so Windows 7 can see all 4TB, it started but then right away fails with a "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)".

Is the disk defected? or am I doing something wrong??

Thanks for the help.

Solution
Thanks, I've searched for WD Blue PUIS and can only see PUIS for WD SSD...

Is the WD Blue supposed to spin just by connecting it to power, i.e with no SATA connected?

Also, is there a chance the DP35DP motherboard just doesn't support it? The BIOS is from 2008, but it never gave me issues with big drives or SSD drives, and it sees the other Barracuda 3TB just fine.

Some drives (Samsung?) need a SATA data connection, but I don't know about yours.

WD isn't very helpful with their documentation, so I can't confirm whether PUIS is supported. Earlier WD models had a PM2 jumper for this purpose, but this wasn't always enabled in the firmware.

As for motherboard support, I would only think this would be a problem if the BIOS had a...

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014
Hi, thanks.

The exact model is WD Blue WD40EZAZ

I'm not sure if it needs pin #3 disabled, I've tried to connect it to the power of a different Power Supply, and that one has both types of SATA power connectors (i.e with or without 3.3v). Connecting the drive to any of them, it doesn't spin at all. Also when connecting to the Desktop's PS, to either optional cables. Neither when connecting it to the power of the USB/SATA adapter.

The question is - must the HD spin as soon as it's being connected to a power source? Or is it possible that it shouldn't spin up immediately, but only once it's being recognized by the OS?

Also, is it possible that the old Intel DP35DP motherboard won't work with 4TB disks? It does with the other Seagate 3TB, and this page suggests the DP35DP should be compatible with that WD Blue 4TB... The DP35DP's bios doesn't see it.

That list refers to WD40EZRZ (64mb cache) but the WD40EZAZ I have is 256mb...

https://www.ramcity.com.au/collections/intel-motherboard-dp35dp

Last edited:
Some drives support Power Up In Standby (PUIS), but these should still appear in BIOS.

Are you sure that "both types of SATA power connectors" are the ones that came with the supply? If you mix modular cables, you can damage the HDD. That's because there is no standard pinout.

system100m

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2014

Is the WD Blue supposed to spin just by connecting it to power, i.e with no SATA connected?

Also, is there a chance the DP35DP motherboard just doesn't support it? The BIOS is from 2008, but it never gave me issues with big drives or SSD drives, and it sees the other Barracuda 3TB just fine.

Some drives (Samsung?) need a SATA data connection, but I don't know about yours.

WD isn't very helpful with their documentation, so I can't confirm whether PUIS is supported. Earlier WD models had a PM2 jumper for this purpose, but this wasn't always enabled in the firmware.

As for motherboard support, I would only think this would be a problem if the BIOS had a 2TiB limitation, or if the SATA controller couldn't handle 6Gbps interface speeds.

Solution