Question New WD Blue M.2 SATA 2280 SSD not recognized anywhere.

Jul 3, 2020
My Laptop : asus x510un-ej329t

I tried to install a new m.2 ssd to get better performance and since it doesn't support NVMe, I went with SATA M.2.

The problem is the SSD is not recognized anywhere from Disk Management, BIOS, Windows Media Creation, Disk Devices, MiniPartition Tool. I've tried everything.
I tried flipping the SSD and putting it in the other way since its a M key and Mobo has a B+M key support (or is it the other way around?) That didn't work either. I messed around in the ASUS BIOS and even that didn't get any results. There is no choice between PCIe and SATA like some said in other articles and I already tried replacing the SSD to eliminate the case where it may have been dead on arrival.
I've actually tried everything and wish someone can assist me here.

RealBeast

Titan
I would update the bios to 307, I think that is the latest. Then I would email ASUS support as their manual is pitiful.

It may be a situation where using the M.2 disables a SATA port, which is fairly common with SATA M.2. but the manual doesn't seem to address it.

RealBeast

Titan
Thanks for the reply.

It came with BIOS 309 out of the box and it's the latest one. WinFlash doesn't show any updates for it and so doesn't the drivers & firmware download site of ASUS
Good to know, they didn't even have that on the support site that I looked at, shows up to 308. :rolleyes:
Did you try clearing the motherboard CMOS?

edit: what size is the m.2 SATA drive?
and have you tried using diskpart commands in an elevated command prompt to clean the drive?" It may also require a convert gpt command if it shows up.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020
Did you try clearing the motherboard CMOS?

edit: what size is the m.2 SATA drive?
and have you tried using diskpart commands in an elevated command prompt to clean the drive?" It may also require a convert gpt command if it shows up.

No i didnt mess with the CMOS and yes I did try diskpart commands it didnt show up in the list disk