[SOLVED] New WD SN750 running slow?

Dec 8, 2020
I recently dropped in a new SN 750 into the top slot of my computer and ran CrystalDiskMark. I'm not anywhere close to the advertised speeds that are on the box.

In the WD Dashboard program, Game Mode is turned on, write caching is also enabled. Am I missing something here?

CDM.JPG.03663690c8f6d26d16d4fa0cf32d4e52.JPG

Solution
Not according to this

Last year Western Digital overhauled their WD Black NVMe SSD with an upgrade to 3D NAND and a new in-house SSD controller, transforming the product line from one of the slowest NVMe drives to one of the top high-end competitors. Now the third generation WD Black SSD is here, with the model number SN750 to avoid confusion with its predecessors. (Internally, last year's model was known as the SN700, and the OEM version was the SN720.) The new WD Black SN750 is an incremental update over last year's model, keeping the same basic controller and 64L 3D NAND combination but refining the firmware and adding a 2TB option.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how many times did you run test? Only asking as I ran AS SSD on my nvme and the first time the score was lower than the second.

Maybe newer version of crystal disk mark? Unlikely to help

You had me concerned with score 3 until I see its a different score category showing in version 7

default settings
nFbmPfx.jpg

Settings for NVME ssd -
MifmO3U.jpg

tried other benchmarks?
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html

597zvCl.jpg

do you have newest chipset drivers for motherboard?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
Yep, looks like I was running an older version of CrystalDiskMark, and that's why the numbers were skewed.

Set to NVME, same profile you have, and now the figures are showing what they should be at! Thanks for catching that, I didn't know a new version of the benchmark came out.

Capturez.JPG.f3ce35cbe27a07522b274d01676ae38b.JPG

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your write speeds seem slower than I would expect, should be up around 3k in possibly top 2 scores.

have you got latest BIOS and drivers for PC?

What are specs of PC?

the SN850 is just silly fast now, 7k read, 5k writes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not according to this

Last year Western Digital overhauled their WD Black NVMe SSD with an upgrade to 3D NAND and a new in-house SSD controller, transforming the product line from one of the slowest NVMe drives to one of the top high-end competitors. Now the third generation WD Black SSD is here, with the model number SN750 to avoid confusion with its predecessors. (Internally, last year's model was known as the SN700, and the OEM version was the SN720.) The new WD Black SN750 is an incremental update over last year's model, keeping the same basic controller and 64L 3D NAND combination but refining the firmware and adding a 2TB option.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13760/the-western-digital-wd-black-sn750-ssd-review

So it should still be as quick.

@Mark_Laidlaw have you tried any of the tests in the WD Dashboard?

Solution