New Windows 10 Features Announced, Build 10162 Makes It To Slow Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggressorPrime

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2004
Michael, I think your assumptions are wrong when you write:
"Although at first blush this sounds great for users, it's reasonable to question if it's a practical move for Microsoft, as many users could download most if not all of their favorite music within a month."

Don't expect Microsoft to let consumers download content in a normal .mp3 file format. According to their ToS found here (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Legal/Usage-Rules):
*Failure to sign into Services at least once every 30 days might allow digital licenses to expire and therefore deprive you of access to previously downloaded content
**For music downloaded onto external devices, you may need to connect these devices to a computer and log into the Services to maintain access to content

As such, you won't be able to keep access to all the music you download without a subscription. Most likely, Microsoft will use its own music app with its own file format that requires a license check every 30 days or becomes unplayable.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
why must this stuff have to be installed on an os. why can't microsoft give people options to download this stuff separately is that too much to ask?
when MS is trying to convince developers that apps on win 10 will be successful you are asking MS to remove proof of concept, first party apps apps from the final build? that seems like a stupid business decision if you ask me.

Because Microsoft just can't win. If they include features, people (like yourself) complain. If they remove features, people complain (look at the backlash of no DVD codec).

Why does it even matter if it is there or not? It is an app that will be disabled unless you use it and it probably doesn't take up much space. It looks like 10 will need 22GB at launch and 22GB these days is a drop in the bucket, even on a SSD with 256GB being easily affordable.

alextheblue

Distinguished
It looks like 10 will need 22GB at launch and 22GB these days is a drop in the bucket, even on a SSD with 256GB being easily affordable.

Some configurations will actually use a lot less space than that. That's a full-blown desktop install. Look at how small they managed to get some 8.1 installs for tablets later into its lifecycle.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Microsoft needs to stop making crappy OSes, and stop releasing them every other year. People went from XP in 2000 (SP2 in 2004 made it good) to Windows 7 in 2009. Nobody wanted Windows 8 or 8.1. Microsoft needs to get rid of their crappy box fetish that they brought back from the 90s.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I hope they're working a lot of overtime. I'm still seeing a LOT of driver and other issues with peripheral hardware.
And why would driver issues be MS`s problem? That`s the manufacturer`s problem. And also i don`t have any issues with any of my drivers.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Although at first blush this sounds great for users, it's reasonable to question if it's a practical move for Microsoft, as many users could download most if not all of their favorite music within a month.

Except that the app actually verifies that you are a current subscriber before it lets you play music you downloaded to your device.

And why would driver issues be MS`s problem? That`s the manufacturer`s problem. And also i don`t have any issues with any of my drivers.

Because as far as the average user is concerned it's a system issue. They don't give half a sh*t whether it's MS' or the manufacturer's fault. As far as they are concerned, the rest is just typical techie finger pointing.

It's basically MS' fault by association for about 98% of their user base.
---------------------------

I've had a few of the insider builds (10162 being the latest) but I'm reconsidering whether to upgrade right away. There are still some issues. Start menu is sluggish on startup, Synaptic drivers still don't work with two finger scrolling under modern apps, etc.

There is still a lot of work and not a lot of time till July 29.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Windows 10 has more bugs than Christmas tree lights. This is DOA not to mention the quality of its UI which is absolute disaster.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Just another uninstallable annoyance that want to survey me and upload everything about me, for profit, to a company I no more trust.

I do not accept control of my PC taken away from me.
I do not accept being forced into Microspyware network.
I don't want a Microspyware account.
I don't need to log online to use my PERSONAL computer.
I don't accept my network clogged with unnecessary traffic.

Clearly you don't understand the relationship between Microsoft, or any other OS manufacturer, and the hardware manufacturer, when it comes to developing device drivers. It takes two to tango, plus, I never said a single word about it being the fault of Microsoft. I simply said I hope there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to develop compatible drivers. There are still quite a lot of hardware devices that are not working with their Windows 8.1 drivers in Win10, or at least not fully and without issue.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
why must this stuff have to be installed on an os. why can't microsoft give people options to download this stuff separately is that too much to ask?

Who cares, never bothered me, if its an installed app and I don't use it its just taking up a little space. Space is cheep.

Also people expect stuff with OS's, you might be a power user that doesn't care about the junk, but the larger group of non-power users is what this still is tailored towards. Plus, with Microsoft giving Windows away for nothing, they now have to include all of the content delivery (purchase) channels so they can make money off the users, its the trade off for millions of dollars in development.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
If people can tolerate Win8.1, they can tolerate Win10.
Actually, Win10 is more like Win8.2 or Win8.5... A couple more convenient features, not a whole lot of changes majority of users will care about. Especially in the corporate environment, very few business take "advantages" of voice controls, and or keyboard shortcuts too...

Ignus Fast

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
This build was a pain in the ass to install - had to depend on someone else's sleuthing and remove .Net Framework 3.5 before the installer would complete (was failing at 40% with a component error). Seems to run fine, but that's a crappy way to begin the experience... :)

hannibal

Distinguished
Just another uninstallable annoyance that want to survey me and upload everything about me, for profit, to a company I no more trust.

I do not accept control of my PC taken away from me.
I do not accept being forced into Microspyware network.
I don't want a Microspyware account.
I don't need to log online to use my PERSONAL computer.
I don't accept my network clogged with unnecessary traffic.

Use Linux and be happy...

Ignus Fast

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Ugh, back in your cave, troll.

MattBooth

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
I will quite literally never use any of this crap. Been a Linux user for about 3 years now, and I'm so, so glad I don't have to put up with this stuff.

You are just always a negative Nancy on anything new related to Windows, aren't you?

I guess you will never be happy with it as Microsoft must have personally harmed you or a family member.

I am willing to bet you use Google Chrome as a browser yet complain about data being used by Microsoft when Google is the biggest data miner on the web, not to mention the largest Ad revenue company as they own the largest one out there.

If you did some digging, you can actually create a local account for Windows 10 just like in Windows 8/8.1.

Good for you. You just have to put up with whatever stuff you decide which could be anything from something simple to something completely system breaking.

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Ugh, back in your cave, troll.

Its not trolling when its the only valid solution to the claimed list of issues they have with Windows 10.

If you don't trust your OS vendor, use another OS that you do trust.

All OS vendors have a business model, if you don't like it that's not their problem unless people avoid them en-mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.