Question New Windows 10 install not recognised in BIOS boot options or Windows Repair tool

xXShalimar24Xx

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my system (pretty much all new bar the GPU and storage) and performed a fresh install of Windows 10 on an old SSD. I have 2 other drive in the system, one of which had my old Windows 10 install on it so I could transfer files after the fresh install. After the new install was complete I never booted to the old install. After transferring and sorting my drives, I formatted the second drive with the old install on it and went to shutdown. Instead of shutting down, the PC kept going back to the logging screen, so I did a forced shutdown. Now the system wont boot at all and in the BIOS boot manager the drive with the new Windows install isn't showing up at all and it is recognised in the Windows repair tool either, so I can't try a repair or recovery on the drive. I'd really like to repair this drive if possible as it's taken the better part of 3 days to get setup and has files i'd rather not lose. I've looked around and cant find any solutions as i don't really know whats wrong with the drive. The only thing I can thing of doing is another fresh install of windows on one of the other drives and starting over, but this doesn't seem very appealing at the moment.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shalimar

xXShalimar24Xx

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hi,

Yes I removed the bootable pen drive after the first install. I had the system running for about 3 days off of the new install without the pen drive before deleting the old install with multiple restarts and shutdowns.

I dont know much about partition types, but i just tried to install windows on an empty drive and it saying cant install due to GPT partition. All of my partitions are showing this. Could it be a setting in the BIOS menu thats stopping the boot? Currently, the SSD has all of my working files so i'd prefer not to wipe it. The other two drives are for mass storage.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

Shalimar

D

Deleted member 14196

Hi,

Yes I removed the bootable pen drive after the first install. I had the system running for about 3 days off of the new install without the pen drive before deleting the old install with multiple restarts and shutdowns.

I dont know much about partition types, but i just tried to install windows on an empty drive and it saying cant install due to GPT partition. All of my partitions are showing this. Could it be a setting in the BIOS menu thats stopping the boot? Currently, the SSD has all of my working files so i'd prefer not to wipe it. The other two drives are for mass storage.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

Shalimar
no, you did not understand. in order to install it on the SSD, you must only have the SSD installed. This has nothing to do with removing the pen drive. the USB drive is the installer that you boot to. You had all your drives hooked up when you installed windows. that is most likely is your problem. You must only have the drive you want windows on installed when you install windows from the usb (pen) drive

xXShalimar24Xx

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Ok, thanks Mandark. Is there anyway to salvage the drive without wiping it, my interents pretty slow and updates and install took ages. As I mentioned, i dont know much about this. I've installed window 10 on other machines with multiple drive installed before without issue, but maybe the conflict was because of an active windows install?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Lengthy process, but if you want to save your data, this is what you're going to have to do.

Remove all drives but one of your mass storage drives.
Format that drive and install Windows 10 onto it.
Connect your SSD and second mass storage drive and transfer your working files from the SSD to the second mass storage drive.

Option A)
Disconnect all drives but the SSD. Format it and install Windows once again.

Option B)
Clone the Windows install from your first mass storage drive to the SSD.

Format the first mass storage drive.

-Wolf sends

xXShalimar24Xx

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Ok, so my initial thinking was Option B, but I was hoping for a magical Option C I was unaware of. Thanks for the help. Now I have the issue of "Window cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of GPT partition style." Any tips?

xXShalimar24Xx

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Ok guys, thanks for the help. Looks like its fresh install. I can probably save my working files, but i guess all programs and such will have to be downloaded and reinstalled.

I appreciate the help and the quick responses.

Shalimar

Colif

Win 11 Master
the old Boot partition on 2nd drive and 2nd drive is formatted routine. You may have been able to both save any data on drive and create a new boot partition, but I guess its too late now.

clean install is easiest way to do it... shame I got here after everyone answered