Question New Windows 10 Install

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I currently have Windows 11 installed on a 1TB SSD that is about 95% full. I hate windows 11 and want to go back to windows 10 and I want to do it on my existing secondary 2TB SSD.

Normally when I do a fresh install, I format the hard drive and then reinstall it on the same drive. However, I want to leave my current SSD entact until Im finished.

My thought is to format the secondary SSD and install windows 10 on the 2TB hard drive. Then when everything is done, I want to switch the drive letter to "C" and then I will switch my current primary drive letter to something else.

Is all of that possible? Im basically just trying to install windows 10 on the 2TB but I want to make sure I can keep the C: letter. I've renamed drive letters before but I havent ever done it on a hard drive that had Windows installed on it.

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Sounds like my genius idea of changing drive letters isnt going to work, LOL.

Thank you guys.
2 physical drives.
One with Win 10, one with Win 11.

Power up, interrupt the boot process and select the drive with Win 11.
That drive will see itself as the "C drive, and the other one as something else. D or E.

Power off.
Restart and interrupt the boot process
Select the drive with Win 10.
It will see itself as the "C drive", and the other one as the D.

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Ok - I finished my windows 10 install and im currently using it. Both hard drives are plugged in.

The only issue is that I simply cannot get back into Windows 11, even though I completely left that drive as it was. I can see my Windows 11 files on the other hard drive and all of the data is still there. Any suggestions to get back into windows 11? Im thinking the issue must be a BIOS setting.

NOTE: When I installed Windows 10, I had to Disable "CSM" within the BIOS. This is the only change I made within the BIOS and I have since reversed it.

Thanks!

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I just disconnected my PC to take it home to work on it and I will report back shortly.

FYI: The last time I tried to get back into windows 11, I selected the drive it was on and it said to insert the disk and press any key. The drive was obviously already inserted and when I pressed a key it just kept giving me that message.

I’ll post back as soon as I get home and everything hooked up.
Thanks so much everyone.

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I was finally able to get back into Windows 11 (on it now). However, the only way I can do this is by getting inserting my windows 10 USB boot media, selecting "Repair this PC", and then manually selecting the other operating system.

Does anyone know a way to have the computer prompt me (automatically) to select a preferred OS?

A screen picture is below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d01gki4js5t74zv/IMG_3298.jpg?dl=0

TRENDING THREADS