News New Windows 10 Up Will Provide More GPU Options

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
now finally a new feature worth MS spending time getting right. if ti works well, this could be very useful for those who have integrated graphics.

if it let's you use both at the same time easily, then it would be a great feature, but the article did not mention whether that could be done or not.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So many unanswered questions. Do both iGPU and dGPU need to connect to the display? How does Windows send signal to the monitor if only one is connected? Also what is the switching latency?

Aug 13, 2020
I have been able to do this on my Surfacebook 1 and Surfacebook 2 for a long time. I did not realize this was not a regular feature of Windows 10

hannibal

Distinguished
So many unanswered questions. Do both iGPU and dGPU need to connect to the display? How does Windows send signal to the monitor if only one is connected? Also what is the switching latency?
Both have to be Connected unles there Are some go through connections. The picture can not macically go to screen without connections.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both have to be Connected unles there Are some go through connections. The picture can not macically go to screen without connections.

Oh well, it's for notebooks with dGPU only then. From the wording I thought Windows is making video pass through standard and ubiquitous.

No only one GPU has to be connected and you can send the video from both GPUs to that display,you can also connect both GPUs and have one display on the other if you want.
You can get a mining GPU without any outputs and have it output through the mobo output as long as your CPU has an iGPU.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Forget multiple GPU options, I'd MUCH rather see Microsoft invest some time and resources into getting their multiple MONITOR configuration and settings issues worked out. Some of them have been around for YEARS through multiple versions of Windows, and all of the various Windows 10 build versions. There are a heck of a lot more people with a single graphics card and multiple monitors than there is people with a single monitor and multiple graphics cards.

evilpaul

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I'm not sure if you can turn on Hardware GPU scheduling with a mix of GPUs that support it and ones that don't. Intel didn't have a driver that enables it as far as I know.

I'm not sure if you can turn on Hardware GPU scheduling with a mix of GPUs that support it and ones that don't. Intel didn't have a driver that enables it as far as I know.
What has that to do with anything? You are not creating a pool of GPUs or anything like that, each GPU works very much by itself it just get's output(ted) to the other GPU.

brian532

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Forget multiple GPU options, I'd MUCH rather see Microsoft invest some time and resources into getting their multiple MONITOR configuration and settings issues worked out. Some of them have been around for YEARS through multiple versions of Windows, and all of the various Windows 10 build versions. There are a heck of a lot more people with a single graphics card and multiple monitors than there is people with a single monitor and multiple graphics cards.
I have been using multiple monitors for years on windows. Selecting primary monitor, orientation, mirror or stretch all work. What do you think is not working or missing?

There is a lot more to multiple monitors than that. Desktop icon behavior, doesn't stay where it belongs, especially if you have a mix of icons on various desktops, or don't have your icons on the primary display but DO have the start menu on the primary display, but not on the secondary display. It goes on and on and on and on and is mostly the ENTIRE FRACKING REASON why there are three or four intensely dedicated programs specifically intended to fix the things that should already work in Windows, but don't, like Display fusion, Ultramon, Actual multiple monitors, Dual monitor tools, etc. So, yeah, it does not work correctly, and it NEVER has. Anybody who says otherwise, has clearly not tried to go beyond the most basic of configurations with two, three or four monitors, especially if there is a mix of resolutions, refresh rates or orientations.

I can appreciate that you believe it works fine, but I assure you, it doesn't. There are many ways in which multi monitor support in Windows could, and should, be vastly improved. And for what it's worth, I've been working with systems since before there WERE any Windows versions, so this is definitely not a case of the rodeo vets snickering when the greenhorn shows up.

Reactions: evilpaul

evilpaul

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
What has that to do with anything? You are not creating a pool of GPUs or anything like that, each GPU works very much by itself it just get's output(ted) to the other GPU.
So Windows is scheduling for some GPUs, using the old behavior, and passing off scheduling to others to manage on their own? And it all just works fine? Why do I get the feeling you've tested this even less than Microsoft (who don't test new Windows features at all)?

So Windows is scheduling for some GPUs, using the old behavior, and passing off scheduling to others to manage on their own? And it all just works fine? Why do I get the feeling you've tested this even less than Microsoft (who don't test new Windows features at all)?
What do you mean by scheduling?
The GPUs work in the normal way they always do, windows just allows one GPU to use the output of the other.
It's the same principle as streaming/chromecast and so on, nothing changes except for the output.