News New Windows 11 Insider Builds Focus on Bug Fixes To Prepare for Launch

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Ug, I was giving Microsoft the benefit with their updated Task bar and Start Menu that they would be adding back some of the options we've had.... well, since Windows 95 as far as the taskbar goes. But no, apparently their sticking with their "we know what's best for you" approach. You get big fat buttons on the taskbar which require extra clicks and preview crap to pick the specific window you want to activate and it's on the bottom. I tried the hack that lets you put it on the top or sides but that seemed to cause a lot of drawing issues and only really worked at all on the top. No side Taskbar which makes the most sense to me. And half of the start menu is blank space because "recommended" things are crap. Let me open this thing I know I want... oh wait, where is it this time. Not where I left it because other things are in there now that I don't want. Looks like I'm going to have to play with Open Shell or some other options for an actual usable start menu. I haven't done that since Windows 8 or Server 2012 which don't have have a start button at all. I'm pretty open to new designs and such but not when you remove usable functionality or don't have a reasonable alternative. Explorer has changed a bit and I mostly don't care about that. I would prefer more options on the context menu instead of having to click on "More Options" more often than not. But I do actually like the design overall. But again, actual useful options for what shows up there would be ideal instead of Microsoft telling me what I get.