New Windows 8.1 install doesn't see 2nd hard drive that works with the old SSD

RussPete

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
I recently upgraded my primary hard drive from a 60GB SSD to a 512 GB SSD. Windows 8.1 Pro is working great on the new SSD, but I can't see the 2nd hard drive which is a Seagate Barracuda 3 TB Internal hard drive ST3000DM001. When I switch back to the 60GB SSD running Windows 8.0 Pro the 2nd HD shows up just fine. Everything else in the system is the same, the only change is the primary SSD.

The 2nd drive does not show up in Disk Management, only the primary SSD. I'm usually pretty good with computers, but this one has me baffled.

Thanks,
RussPete

Stingerxxx

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Don't know if you'll get notification of this response, but one can always hope.

It indeed sounds baffling.. Not something you'd run into on a normal basis. BIOS and windows 8.0 recognize said drive, but not the 8.1.... I'd run through the basics. Hit up the mobo manufacturer, get all the basic drivers. Chipset drivers being the most important. Get everything. Restart. See if it changes anything.

Also, just a curiosity.... Is it a 32bit installation? Don't see why it would be, but if so 32bit installs have issues with drives of larger sizes like that.