New Windows 8 OEM build completely unable to connect to internet (Ubuntu can perfectly) Error 651.

Horkheimer

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Hi!
Having built a new system with the Windows 8 OEM licence I am unable to connect to the internet via an ethernet. Windows requests a username and password when none is necessary to make the connection. Trying to bypass the password request just lead to Error 651.

I've updated widows offline using PortUp but have had no success. I'm currently looking for an ethernet controller or ISPN driver update to see if these will help.

I can dual boot Ubuntu and access the internet perfectly there without Username and password requests.

Any thoughts, suggestions and pointers where I am going stupidly wrong would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

This error occurs when the raspppoe.sys file is corrupted in your drivers folder, there is workaround as same like as Windows 7, just follow the steps given below

STEP 1: Go to C:/Windows/System32/drivers.
STEP 2: Search for the file raspppoe.sys file.
STEP 3: Rename the file to some other name eg: raspppoe.sys_old
STEP 4: Open the installation media files of Windows 8 and locate the raspppoe.sys file.
STEP 5: Copy it to the same C:/Windows/System32/drivers folder and restart your system.

If you can't find the file in the installation media, find a friend with W8 and have him copy the file from his pc to a thumb drive and copy that to #5 above.

Horkheimer

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

Thanks for your reply. It is Win8 that asks for the username/pw and command prompt isn't finding a host ip.

Horkheimer

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

Thanks! Any suggestions where I would find the sys file? Searches aren't producing anything.

Horkheimer

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

Yes, I don't have a router. And www.sysfiles-download.com/ have a download for the rasppoe.sys file.