New Windows for Tablets to be Shown This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Now this is getting interesting.
It makes me wonder how it will run on these devices, what kind of applications there will be and how they will run on a mobile platform.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
This is what they said microsoft needed to get a good handle on the tablet market. hopefully it should prove to add more productivity to the tablet space that will make a keyboard dock very useful. Who knows...mouse input?

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]MS fail left and right... if they don't come up with a mobile platform soon they will be SOL.[/citation]
They DO have a mobile platform, they just havn't used it as well as it could. Look at Win7; great touch-screen capability, and is able to run in low-power environments quite well, but is limited to x86. On the other hand, if you look at WP7; It's great for phones, and possibly tablets, but is limited to ARM, and Microsoft has very specific minimum specifications (like the 2-stage camera button, etc.).

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Windows belongs on the PC, not a mobile device. I soon found that out after purchasing my Omnia a couple years ago. I can't wait until a decent Android is released (DROID BIONIC, maybe?). That's my next phone. Screw everything else.

Having that said, I haven't seen a whole lot of Windows Mobile 7. From what I've seen, it looks like a bunch of big blocks. Not interested.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]In 2012:Jobs: iOS 5 has 400,000 apps!Brin: Android has 450,000 apps!!Ballmer: Windows 8 has 9,999,999,999,999 apps.[/citation]

ios has 400k apps
android has 450k apps
win a has

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ios has 400k appsandroid has 450k appswin a has[/citation]
o yay something got cought up in a word filter

[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]In 2012:Jobs: iOS 5 has 400,000 apps!Brin: Android has 450,000 apps!!Ballmer: Windows 8 has 9,999,999,999,999 apps.[/citation]

ios has 400k apps
android has 450k apps
win8 a has less than 400k apps but has real @!#%ing programs instead, not 100 apps dedicated to making farting noises, thats what flash is for.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]c0oim4n[/nom]They DO have a mobile platform, they just havn't used it as well as it could. Look at Win7; great touch-screen capability, and is able to run in low-power environments quite well, but is limited to x86.[/citation]

Windows has sub-par power management compared to Android. Big part of the reason is that they carry lot of the legacy load.

fyend

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]DavidC1[/nom]Windows has sub-par power management compared to Android. [/citation]

Well if that's good power management on Android I don't even want to see bad power management. The phones don't even a run a day without needing a charge.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]plznote[/nom]In 2012:Jobs: iOS 5 has 400,000 apps!Brin: Android has 450,000 apps!!Ballmer: Windows 8 for x86 has 9,999,999,999,999 apps.[/citation]
fixed that.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ios has 400k appsandroid has 450k appswin a has[/citation]

Windows has and has always had google. You wanted an app for a windows portable all you ever had to do was type it in and there you were. So what if it doesn't
have tetris 4000 times in a stupid app store. It has the power of GOOGLE!!!! lol anyways when i had my windows phone any app i ever wanted was a google search away so you have obviously NEVER used a windows phone. Or should i say they were Programs that interacted with my desktop computer not the pittly little apps apple has pushed on everyone. You shouldn't need an app for something that should have already been in the damn thing in the first place. ONLY the EU thinks thats a good idea.

[citation][nom]DavidC1[/nom]Windows has sub-par power management compared to Android. Big part of the reason is that they carry lot of the legacy load.[/citation]

Yeah i like having to find new versions of everything on my computers every time a miner fix in an OS happens because they are to retarded to keep some backwards compatibility. But if you do enjoy wasting time and money on programs that might just not work on your next phone or even through a upgrade if allowed then by all means buy an android.

[citation][nom]stingray71[/nom]Day late and a dollar short. Missed the boat on this one too MS.[/citation]

oooo its never to late to make something that doesn't suck all the C**k in the world.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]It will fail like the Zune, the copy cat company is too late and I bet it is still a bloated resource hog.[/citation]

there was other mobile hardware before apple and android came around. hell, the market for the "smart phone" started in 1992, apple came in 1994 and failed, than again in 2007 and succeeded. apple was 15 years late, to a place windows came before it (a mobile win os predates ios).

before you call something late, know some facts.

windows is bloated ill give you that. however its bloated because it can be on the desktop side. we have pcs with 6 cores and 24gb of ram, (average user is 2 core and 2-4gb, depending on computer)

my guess is that if they include legacy support (which is the bloat you would worry about on a phone) it wouldnt boot legacy portions unless you booted legacy software to save battery life

[citation][nom]EnFoRceR22[/nom]Windows has and has always had google. You wanted an app for a windows portable all you ever had to do was type it in and there you were. So what if it doesn't have tetris 4000 times in a stupid app store. It has the power of GOOGLE!!!! lol anyways when i had my windows phone any app i ever wanted was a google search away so you have obviously NEVER used a windows phone. Or should i say they were Programs that interacted with my desktop computer not the pittly little apps apple has pushed on everyone. You shouldn't need an app for something that should have already been in the damn thing in the first place. ONLY the EU thinks thats a good idea.Yeah i like having to find new versions of everything on my computers every time a miner fix in an OS happens because they are to retarded to keep some backwards compatibility. But if you do enjoy wasting time and money on programs that might just not work on your next phone or even through a upgrade if allowed then by all means buy an android.oooo its never to late to make something that doesn't suck all the C**k in the world.[/citation]

if you read, that one got cut off by some word filter.
you make a good point, but the fact is they are late to the party. when google, and apple, have oses that take damn near all the market, unless you do something different, you are not getting market share. and by different i dont mean look, i mean software wise, let us boot dos games, or low hardware required programs, or even real programs, and than you got my interest.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Android Honeycomb has less than 100 tablet specific apps and will have less than 1000 by the end of 2012. Windows will have much wider dev support. When people wake up and realize how little Android tablets are being supported Windows will have a clear path to take over the #2 spot and eventually have a shot at #1 much the way XBox took on Sony Playstation.

Apple has only 65,000 tablet specific apps which is not that difficult to catch when you have momentum and Microsoft's dev community.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
They're showing a Windows for Tablets this week that won't be out until next year? MS will need more than half a year more to fine tune the product or wait for developers to come up with the gazillion apps someone is touting about.

G

I'm loving Windows Mobile 7 metro interface and the mango update to come at the end of the year. I really am looking forward to making my next phone purchase a windows phone. I hope the new tablet uses the metro interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.