New windows install on SSD, Wanna keep hard drive files.

Froggerdog17

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
So im updating my cpu along with the mobo and ram. I know Ill have to clean install my ssd, but i dont want to lose my hard drive files and programs. I heard its best to unplug the hard drive before installing to be safe, but when i go to reallocate the drive, will I lose anything? what's the best way I can do this?

Solution
Welcome, Froggerdog17!

The best way to do this would be to backup all your data from your current system setup somewhere else as well. Having another copy will keep your peace of mind that nothing would get potentially lost. Fortunately, you will be able to access your personal files from the old HDD, but reinstalling the programs and software is inevitable! Either way, once you have your files copied somewhere else, you can easily reformat the HDD and use it for secondary storage with your SSD upgrade. I'd recommend you check this Windows Install & Optimization guide for your SSD & HDD and follow the step-by-steps there.
Indeed, you need to unplug the HDD from the SATA ports while installing Windows, otherwise, you will most...
Welcome, Froggerdog17!

The best way to do this would be to backup all your data from your current system setup somewhere else as well. Having another copy will keep your peace of mind that nothing would get potentially lost. Fortunately, you will be able to access your personal files from the old HDD, but reinstalling the programs and software is inevitable! Either way, once you have your files copied somewhere else, you can easily reformat the HDD and use it for secondary storage with your SSD upgrade. I'd recommend you check this Windows Install & Optimization guide for your SSD & HDD and follow the step-by-steps there.
Indeed, you need to unplug the HDD from the SATA ports while installing Windows, otherwise, you will most definitely encounter an OS confusion which would require you to repeat the procedure properly.

Hope it helps. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution