New Windows install

zazz_

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
Hello I have recently bought a new motherboard,CPU,and graphics card and have been advised to deactivated windows and fresh install it i have used nirsoft/nirosoft I can't remember to find my windows 10 product key ready to reinstall windows on my current 240gb ssd so I have deactivated my win 10 product key and I am trying to wipe my drives i have successfully wiped one drive but every time I try to wipe my ssd with win 10 on I get an error message stating that
"There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."I have watched youtube tutorials hoping to find an answer but all I tutorials telling me to look for install files I don't even have i'm currently running a sfc scan to find errors and other things but I don't know where to go from now

Solution

De-selected that for you. If you only see "change product key" or "go to store".....are you actually activated anyway?
If you've already changed your hardware, you need to link it from the original hardware - so set that back up.

As an FYI zazz, a new CPU/Mobo/GPU may be deemed more than a 'significant hardware change' (MS don't clarify). Link it to your account & reinstall - then use the troubleshooter. With any luck, you'll get it activated - but if MS deem that a new system (and not simply a hardware change), you may be looking at a new OS anyway - allowing you to change the motherboard...

zazz_

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Whoops accidentally picked that as the best solution

I cant link it for some reason it says either change product key or go to store

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

De-selected that for you. If you only see "change product key" or "go to store".....are you actually activated anyway?
If you've already changed your hardware, you need to link it from the original hardware - so set that back up.

As an FYI zazz, a new CPU/Mobo/GPU may be deemed more than a 'significant hardware change' (MS don't clarify). Link it to your account & reinstall - then use the troubleshooter. With any luck, you'll get it activated - but if MS deem that a new system (and not simply a hardware change), you may be looking at a new OS anyway - allowing you to change the motherboard is still fairly new, while it reads that you should be able to reactivate, you're changing more than just the mobo.

Solution

zazz_

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Ok so i've got all the parts ready to build the pc I don't now how to re install windows ive got a cmos bios on this pc and ive linked the product key with my account ive wiped one hard drive already and i have a usb boot device ready If I use my old hard drive with windows 10 the current windows 10 im using to navigate to this site talking to you I have been told that it could affect my pc I dont know where to go from here do I wipe my hard drive or do i carry on I'll be honest I know shit all about windows os or software

zazz_

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

From other threads i've gathered that windows detects a hardware change and disables your license code so does this mean that if i put all the parts in including the ssd and hdd i have i will be able to boot fine and use the license transfer i have linked to my account and everything will be fine and dandy

zazz_

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016

Yeah sorry i'm a fucking dull brain i realised that i had already linked it