New Windows needs old Windows to boot

Proton Pig

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
Hi,

I had a 32-bit Windows 10 on a 70GB Maxtor HDD, which didn't use out the 12GB RAM I had - and the drive was full too -, so I installed an x64 one onto a 1TB Seagate SSHD.

Now, on boot Windows asks do I want to boot from the HDD (Volume 1) or the SSHD (Volume 2).
It works fine. But after moving the data from the old drive I decided to take the Maxtor drive out. Because - well, why should I click all the time I boot up?

On boot, the pc told me to
"Insert boot device then reboot
or insert DVD then press enter" or something.
In a nutshell, that the Boot Device was invalid, so I should insert a proper one.
But I just installed a new x64 Windows 10...?
No data migration done. It's a new - and personalized) new Win10.

I have an MSI B85-G43 GAMING Motherboard, 2×4 + 1×4 Kingston RAM, an x64 new-generation Pentium processor, running on 3.8GHz (they just rebooted the Pentium series) and Windows 10 Pro.

I just want to make the PC boot without the needing of the Maxtor HDD.
Any help welcome.

akseli

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Known problem. Your old Windows HDD has system reserved partition which has few important boot files.

It's possible to manually copy it, or to recreate it on SSD, but not easy.

Is it possibe to reinstall Windows? If you do it with only SSHD in the computer, it will create the partition on there. Also on Bios you could set the old HDD as default boot device so there would be no query every time you boot, but then you would need to keep it on your computer.