[SOLVED] New windows update kb5003637 problems.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hi there, I tried to update windows today and after successful installation of the new update. My monitors starting flickering after logging in. The desktop and taskbar are blank and the screen just flickers constantly.

I tried booting into safe mode to clean out my gpu driver, but the flickering is happening there as well. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Ty

9900kf
Gtx 970 (not the latest driver, I have the one released in may)
Z390 aorus pro with latest bios

Lutfij

Titan
Source the latest driver for your Nvidia GPU from Nvidia's support site. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers,. reboot, reinstall said GPU drivers with the latest driver version(sourced prior) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Source the latest driver for your Nvidia GPU from Nvidia's support site. Then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers,. reboot, reinstall said GPU drivers with the latest driver version(sourced prior) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
Sorry forgot to say the PSU. Corsair rmx850 gold. System except for gpu is 3 years old in Augean.

you are saying I should update my gpu drivers before installing the windows update? Safe mode doesn’t work either after this particular update.

what I am wondering is that if I have the problem in safe mode, that should rule out my gpu driver being the problem shouldn’t it? Forgive me if that sounds dumb.

Last edited:

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I’m sorry if this isn’t allowed but just a follow up. I tried updating again and even installing 21h1. Problem still happens, I then also tried ending windows explorer which resulted in a black screen with the taskbar not flashing any more as I expected.

I then restarted it and the flashing/constant refreshing came back. I tried uninstalling the update through uninstall latest consultative update (from the blue troubleshooting screen) and nothing happened. Tried doing the feature one and it said it can’t and to reset my pc…

mind you this is happening in safe mode as well where my video drivers, antivirus and whatever else is not being loaded (please correct me if I am wrong).

idk what this update did, but it seems to be extremely broken. Thankfully I have backups so I backed up to an earlier system image and I’m fine for now.

can anyone she’s some light on this or is this happening to anyone else? If it is I am sorry but know you are not alone.

KalebPi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
im having the same issue. i have my own forum as well. bios update doesn't help FYI. did an update. somehow messed up my motherboard. put in a new one with the newest bios update. still have the flashing problem. i am assuming it is the windows update as well. my pc also crashes though?! maybe these flashing and crashing problems are unrelated (for me)? Also, this does not seem to happen in safemode for me.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
im having the same issue. i have my own forum as well. bios update doesn't help FYI. did an update. somehow messed up my motherboard. put in a new one with the newest bios update. still have the flashing problem. i am assuming it is the windows update as well. my pc also crashes though?! maybe these flashing and crashing problems are unrelated (for me)? Also, this does not seem to happen in safemode for me.

Hey I am so sorry I didn’t get back to you till now.

I was able to solve the problem but I had to get a little lucky. I figured out what was happening was explored.exe was crashing and resetting over and over. Even in safe mode.

I could still open task manager and manually exiting explorer and restarting it didn’t help. What I did was open a cmd window through task manager (which took a while because it kept on resetting my typing) and did an sfc scan. It fixed the problem.

It was definitely a windows issue. I know this was a simple solution but hopefully it helps you.

KalebPi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
Hey I am so sorry I didn’t get back to you till now.

I was able to solve the problem but I had to get a little lucky. I figured out what was happening was explored.exe was crashing and resetting over and over. Even in safe mode.

I could still open task manager and manually exiting explorer and restarting it didn’t help. What I did was open a cmd window through task manager (which took a while because it kept on resetting my typing) and did an sfc scan. It fixed the problem.

It was definitely a windows issue. I know this was a simple solution but hopefully it helps you.
thanks for the reply and its all good! So I don't seem to have it happening in safe mode, and i already did the sfc scan, but I will try it again. thankfully my computer is usable most of the time, but it just happens enough that it needs to be fixed. hmm, maybe I need to do that scan while it is happening. I will try it again. thanks!

Update: did an sfc scan again. didn't find anything, but like I said. I will try again next time the taskbar is flashing.

Last edited:

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
thanks for the reply and its all good! So I don't seem to have it happening in safe mode, and i already did the sfc scan, but I will try it again. thankfully my computer is usable most of the time, but it just happens enough that it needs to be fixed. hmm, maybe I need to do that scan while it is happening. I will try it again. thanks!

Update: did an sfc scan again. didn't find anything, but like I said. I will try again next time the taskbar is flashing.
No problem at all. I would try to do a dism scan as well. If you can, try doing the scans while opening cmd as an admin if you haven’t tried that yet.

I hope it can be fixed without a reinstall of windows.

KalebPi

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2016
No problem at all. I would try to do a dism scan as well. If you can, try doing the scans while opening cmd as an admin if you haven’t tried that yet.

I hope it can be fixed without a reinstall of windows.
Yeah I did that s well before both as admin too. lol ill update here when there is an update, just in case I can help someone else who comes upon this post. Thanks again!