New Wireless Router or Access Pt.???

I need to extend the range of my "older" Netgear MR314 towards the front of
my house for a new family laptop to access my internet connection. My wife
uses her laptop in the kitchen directly below my office on the 2nd floor
where I have the router and it works great. But when I take her laptop to
the area I want to cover, the signal drops to low and comes in and out - so
I need to extend or boost my wireless range. The MR314 doesn't have a
removable antenna, so that's not an option.

Please comment on my options I think will work.

Option 1: Buy a new wireless router that's backwards compatible to 802.11b
(current laptop has an 802.11b pc card) and hope to cover the area I need
to.

Option 2: Buy a Wireless Access Point (WAP) and hook it up to my current
router. I can run the Cat5 cable up to the attic above my office and place
the WAP closer to the area I need covered.

Option 3: Buy a new wireless router along with a new directional antenna
that will boost the signal and hopefully cover the area.

Any help is much appreciated.

> Option 2: Buy a Wireless Access Point (WAP) and hook it up to my current
> router. I can run the Cat5 cable up to the attic above my office and place
> the WAP closer to the area I need covered.

Option 2 is one to go with as it gives you the most options as to
where you place your wireless point. If you go with a new wireless
router there is no guarantee that it will cover the range anymore than
your old one does