New workstation laptop Hp or Lenovo

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Hi all. I am looking for a good reliable worksation laptop that will serve my needs for a good few years. It will be used for CAD CATIA LIGHTWAVE and many other programs that i run. It wont be left rendering all week as my server takes that role.
It must have a good clear screen with good colour reproduction etc.
I filled in the requirements below and am looking at the HP EliteBook 8740w or the lenovo thinkpad W701.

1_What is your budget?
£3k-£5k

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
any size considered

3_What screen resolution
do you want?
Higher the better

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It does need to be portable although most of the time it would be at the office. The only time it will be out is when i have to travel seeing clients. Then it will be only used in the hotel etc.

5_How much battery life do you need?
It would be plugged in mostly so not an issue

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No gaming on the laptop, I have a gaming PC for that.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
As above it will be used for heavy 3D stuff mainly. Also photoshop work with high res images etc

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Not really fussed as i would get an external storage drive

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
About 3+ years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
As long as it has DL writeable

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am not really up on the manufacturers of laptops but certainly dont want a cheap plasticy feeling laptop.

13_What country do you live in?
UK

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I dont need gimicks on this laptop, like finger print readers etc.
The more RAM, faster CPU speed and higher spec Gfx are the important points

I am interested in the community thoughts of the named HP and Lenovo laptops as i am a bit out in the wilderness as to the support and build quality of the two companies.

What would you guys go fo??

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Lenovo, thats what we use at work. We run mastercam, solidworks, autocad. They run very well on w500 dual cores with 4gb of memory. It would have been nicer to get more memory but the "IT" guy didnt think 8gb would really be used to run any of our programs. He never ran a 5000 pc model in solidworks before so we got screwed there.

alpha_c

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
I second the Lenovo W series.

The alternative is the Dell Precision series or the HP Elitebooks, neither of which have the graphics nor robustness.

Status
Not open for further replies.