News New X-NAND Technology Doubles Flash Write Speeds

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wonder what it does for heat/power. Seems like you might need a lot more cooling. Also, heat generally hurts the longevity of flash memory.

Not to diminish their accomplishments, but I'm just wondering what's the catch.

Reactions: gg83
Apr 1, 2020
I'm wondering if this will have any real world effect though. For high demand applications, the durability of SLC and TLC is needed, which come with high speeds and already have solutions which max out the PCIe bandwidth, like Sabrent's 8 slot NVMe PCIe card. For consumer applications, where even direct-to-flash QLC drives have speed exceeding most people's internet download speed and read speed and cost per GB is most important, this will have no effect except to increase the price due to license fees. Even if this were an open standard with no license fee, there's little incentive for most manufacturers to implement it until at least the PLC or even the SexLC era due to lack of need, and that's not going to be for years, sadly.

Reactions: gg83
Apr 1, 2020
What an odd metric. Did you know that hard drives also have speeds faster than most people's internet download speed?

It is A metric yes, and an important one when you are discussing QLC and higher flash, especially at relatively small capacities where the SLC buffer can fill during a large program or game download and revert to the much slower direct to flash, which is slower than the sequential write capabilities of most 7200rpm HDDs, but if you were going off of just one metric, then you would choose a HDD.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
So, how does the compare to pseudo-slc in consumer drives today? Assuming it's comparable, then this really only helps in corner case when the drive is also full and any write cache is overwhelmed.

I also wonder how this tech affects endurance and bit errors.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, how does the compare to pseudo-slc in consumer drives today?
They're not mutually exclusive, from what I understand.

Assuming it's comparable, then this really only helps in corner case when the drive is also full and any write cache is overwhelmed.
Yes, that's where you'd see the biggest impact.

I also wonder how this tech affects endurance and bit errors.
Good questions. I'm not sure we'll ever know, but I'd expect probably not much.

Reactions: jp7189