Question New X299G Motherboard Needed for Cascade Lake X?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I was asking about my current X299 Gigabyte motherboard from their service department. I told them Im interested in Cascade Lake X cpus down the road. They told me if I want to use Cascade Lake X which is coming soon, I'll have to replace my motherboard to a X299G?

First off, Cascade Lake is just a tweeking of their past CPUs, and still based on 14nm++. Its not till 2021 we'll see the 10nm CPUs come out. So why do I need to replace my motherboard for this new CPU which is only a tweeked version of the 9000 X series?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I was asking Gigabyte a technical question and they told me my current X299 motherboard won't work with Cascade Lake X cpus coming out soon. I need to upgrade to the X299G motherboard. I have also read that the new X299G motherboards won't work with current and older 2066 cpus. Being the Cascade Lake X cpu is still a 14nm++ design and only tweeked compared to the current 9000X series, why would I need to upgrade my board? If this is the case, I'll skip Cascade Lake X and wait till 2021 when 10nm comes out.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Blame Intel for that one.
Just like how 8th gen cpus were proven to actually run on 100 and 200 series mobos - then Intel locked that down quick.
It's how Intel milks more money out of people; forcing 'em to change motherboards every other generation. :hum: