[SOLVED] new x570 motherboards?

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
How many new x570 motherboards have been announced (in advance of the upcoming release of Ryzen 5000)? I've only noticed one:

The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, and it's Memory QVL isn't on
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Dark-Hero/specifications/
yet.
But if it's gonna have the same Memory QVL as the rest of the ROG Crosshair VIII Series I'm not sure I want it, because the series' 128GB RAM support does not exceed 2666.

Whereas I've had my eye on one that supports 128GB at 3000, specifically the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X because I want:

8 SATA ports, support for the fastest 128GB of RAM, and multi-gig Ethernet.

I got a lot of great help in a thread here about a year ago and picked the Phantom Gaming X when I was about to get a 3950x; but I had to delay and now (since my less-lame PC died recently), I plan to get a 5950x the minute I can order one.

Oh, I also wonder if getting a new x570 board might be more desirable than my RAM-support preference.

Reactions: omasoud
Solution
But if it's gonna have the same Memory QVL as the rest of the ROG Crosshair VIII Series I'm not sure I want it, because the series' 128GB RAM support does not exceed 2666.
Could that be because 128Gb requires using all 4 DIMM sockets? which in turn limits overclocking potential above 2666?

Rumors and propoganda and all that...after all nobody has the true and complete AMD specs on Ryzen 5000 yet. But rumor is it will hold 1:1 IF sync above 3600...maybe as high as 3733 or even 3800. That's suggesting an improved memory controller too. So what that suggests is you'll just have to wait until the mobo mfr's update their QVL's for memory support with 5000 series processors even for current boards to figure out what's...
How many new x570 motherboards have been announced (in advance of the upcoming release of Ryzen 5000)? I've only noticed one:

The ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, and it's Memory QVL isn't on
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Dark-Hero/specifications/
yet.

Whereas I've had my eye on one that supports 128GB at 3000, specifically the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X because I want:

8 SATA ports, support for the fastest 128GB of RAM, and multi-gig Ethernet.

I got a lot of great help in a thread here about a year ago and picked the Phantom Gaming X when I was about to get a 3950x; but I had to delay and now (since my less-lame PC died recently), I plan to get a 5950x the minute I can order one.

Oh, I also wonder if getting a new x570 board might be more desirable than my RAM-support preference.
All b550 and x570 boards will work with Zen3 Ryzen, no need to announce any specifically.

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hi CountMike, thank you very much for your reply!
But FYI you completely misunderstood my post.

All b550 and x570 boards will work with Zen3 Ryzen,
I was already well aware of that.
no need to announce any specifically.

Yes there is; just not WRT Zen 3 support which we know about. The "need to announce" is both:
  1. The motherboard manufacturers' WRT marketing, and
  2. Which (and here's the whole point of my post) I am here expressing fervent interest in as a very eager buyer. (And seeking advice in comparison to existing boards.)

Could that be because 128Gb requires using all 4 DIMM sockets? which in turn limits overclocking potential above 2666?

Rumors and propoganda and all that...after all nobody has the true and complete AMD specs on Ryzen 5000 yet. But rumor is it will hold 1:1 IF sync above 3600...maybe as high as 3733 or even 3800. That's suggesting an improved memory controller too. So what that suggests is you'll just have to wait until the mobo mfr's update their QVL's for memory support with 5000 series processors even for current boards to figure out what's going to do what you ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: coyote2
Solution

coyote2

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hi Drea, thank you very much for your reply!

I've seen it implied that it works just like you suggest. I'm personally willing to take that hit (I'm not a gamer).
Rumors and propoganda and all that...after all nobody has the true and complete AMD specs on Ryzen 5000 yet. But rumor is it will hold 1:1 IF sync above 3600...maybe as high as 3733 or even 3800. That's suggesting an improved memory controller too. So what that suggests is you'll just have to wait until the mobo mfr's update their QVL's for memory support with 5000 series processors even for current boards to figure out what's going to do what you ask.
Pricelessly important for me to know, thanks a million, Drea!!

Last edited:
Hi Drea, thank you very much for your reply!

I've seen it implied that it works just like you suggest. I'm personally willing to take that hit (I'm not a gamer).
As an extra bit of information. Since it appears you ARE interested in motherboard support for very high memory configuration (128Gb) you might need to be aware of this, if not.

There are two principle memory DIMM interconnect topologies: Daisy Chain (aka 'flyby') and point-to-point.

Daisy chain is best for very high data rates when using no more than two DIMM's. So that's what we get on lower cost motherboards since most of us commoners only want 8 or 16 (now 32Gb) tops which is easily handled with 2 DIMM's.

But with 4 DIMM's (for high capacity), Point-to-Point is best for high data throughput and can actually be poorer with only 2 DIMM's. So Point-to-Point is often featured on very high-end motherboards. As it would appear that CHVIII is, indeed, VERY high end I'd have to think it probably sports point-to-point DIMM topology.

If you're interested you might go hang out in the appropriate ROG forum and ask questions about that particular motherboard of the enthusiasts who know it inside and out.

And as for USB ports: just count the ones on the back plate of any board you're interested in. The ones handled through headers will need wired ports on the case, so you have to consider what you have there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: coyote2