Question New X58 CPU on a budget?? Overclocking?

TheDirtySox

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
Hey, so I have a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, which supports LGA 1366. I currently have an i7 920 2.67ghz overclocked with a dual fan Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. I am a complete noob at overclocking and might not have overclocked it very well, but either way, I am not getting nearly the performance I want out of it. I can run PUBG at low but when I do I get crazy frame drops, which I know is mostly CPU. I am going to upgrade my ram from 8gb to 16gb and I have a 1050Ti which isn't the greatest card but I am on a budget. While I am upgrading the ram I would also like to upgrade my CPU. I didn't know if it would be worth the CPU upgrade to a Xeon or if I should try and overclock the i7 920 more than I have now. I believe I got it to 3.6ghz and anything after that would overheat it, so I'm not sure I could even overclock it more. At the same time, I don't even know if the overclock was effective because I am getting around the same Cinebench score I was getting before around 450, and CPU-Z says I am getting 2833mhz. I have been looking at a Xeon W3580 or maybe a W3680 if the extra money is worth it. I am on a really tight budget but want something that won't bottleneck my system and will give me a non-irritating PUBG experience. What do you guys think? Will the Xeons even be worth it or should I try and get the best out of the 920? Will the xeons even be overclockable too/how to do that cause I'm a total noob at overclocking? Thanks

Here's my motherboard's support list:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20#support-cpu

hirschbergt

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I had a 920 (D0 stepping) that I had running at 4 GHz with no problems. Granted, I don’t think the cooler you have could keep temperatures where you might want them at that frequency. I’d suggest googling how to properly overclock the x58 platform before you make any investments. On top of that, I’d look into whether the Xeon x5670 is compatible with your motherboard. Those have a lower TDP than the 920 and the W3680, which should translate into more overclocking headroom. (I currently have an x5670 running at 4.1Ghz, and I have heard I might be able to take it higher, but I’m happy with the result.)

I hope some of this helps!