New X99 build gives 00 Q-Code. Please help diagnose

ajujayapal

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Trying to build a new PC after a very long time. Very much a beginner.

1. X99-Deluxe motherboard
2. I7 5960x
3. CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4
3. Asus GTX 980 Strix
4. Corsair H105 Cooler
5. Case: Corsair 900D
6. Cooler Master V1000 - 1000W
7. OS: Planning on Windows 8.1 (not installed yet)
8. SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB (not connected yet)
9. HDDs: 2 WD 3TB Red Drives (not connected yet)

When I boot the machine, I get a 00 ("Not Used") code.

1. The H105 fans plugged into the CPU and CPU opt start running and the pump turns on
2. The exhaust fan at the back of the case plugged into another fan socket on the motherboard does not run. Tried plugging it into different pins on the motherboard but no change.
3. The front fans connected using the fan extension card powered by a molex pin does not run
4. Graphics Card which has its own power turns on (but no display on the monitor)

Tried running without any RAM installed and put them in one after the other but no change either.
Tried removing the CPU and putting it back just to make sure but no change.

With these results, do I say the motherboard is bad or the CPU?

ajujayapal

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Thank you i7Baby! I feel like an idiot....I had missed the CPU power to the motherboard. Its working and booted up now. The only issue that I decided to live with is probably a problem with the front panel audio out of the Corsair 900d. If I have my headphone fully inserted, I can only hear a faint volume in the right ear. Found the workaround is to pull the headphone jack just a little bit out of the hole.

Beginning to wonder if these retailers like Amazon send customers refurbished items at first and probably also restock the items sent back by customers with complaints without verifying the issue. My first motherboard sent to me by amazon was physically broken although none of the packaging was damaged.