Question New Xerox printer prints very well except...?

Horrux

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
... my document doesn't look the same AT ALL.

tl;dr: Different printers print the SAME document, witha much lighter font.

Background

I created a course and (sort of) make a living selling it. I print the 398 pages, hole punch them, put in binders, into boxes, ship and that's my day's work.

Recently, my aging Samsung CLP-415NW started going crappy on me. So I replaced it with a shiny new Xerox Versalink C500. I thought I was golden, but things got a bit more complicated than that.

The document

Nearly 400 pages, all COLOR text, printed on cream colored paper. A truly premium look. Well, I'm not exactly giving it away either, so it's worth it. I used to spend about $45 on ink, now with the Xerox it's more like $65 or $70. Anyway, on to the problem...

The problem

The problem is that the fonts look different. The main font is Bernhard Modern, printed in dark green, except with this printer the characters are much thinner. Maybe I should take a picture to show you? Anyway, the document has not changed. It's still set to use the same exact font it was before changing the printer, but the output from the previous printer looks semi-bold compared to the very lightweight output I am getting with the Xerox.

As such, the printouts of my course are now too light and make it look like a crappy printout when in fact it is positioned as a premium product.

Have any of you tech aficionados ever faced something like this? What can I do?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
There could be any number of reasons for the change in appearance.

Appearance is subjective and much is involved.

Select a few representative pages from your document. Use those pages to create a test document and save that test document as a master template.

Then make a copy of the template to experiment with by making various changes. Be sure to change only one thing at a time.

Note the original settings - make a list. Ink colors, font(s), shading, paper, etc.. Everything that you can control. Read the new printer's User Guide/Manual very carefully to determine what you can and cannot adjust.

Likewise take a similar look at the production software - what features and options are available with respect to fonts, colors, shadings, thickness/boldness, and so forth?

Next try, for example, a slightly different font color. Determine if that change improves the appearance to your satisfaction.

If not, then try another variation using another copy of the original test document.

You may be able to help with all that via few printer test pages showing colors, fonts, and so forth to use as a references.

Key is to be methodical and make deliberate, considered changes.

TRENDING THREADS