New xfinity modem/router issues

heisnburg

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Hi, just yesterday i got all new cable boxes and the xfinity ARRIS router/modem. The problem is that it connects to my win8 laptop and my iphone 5, but when i try to connect using my win7 desktop it stays connected for about 2 seconds and is very slow, but all my other devices work perfectly fine.

Solution
Assuming you are using WiFi on the desktop, you could try changing the wireless channel to see if that helps. Most modem/router combos have problems with WiFi because they aren't very strong routers. It might be worth while just to purchase your own and let Xfinity know so they can bridge your modem.

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Assuming you are using WiFi on the desktop, you could try changing the wireless channel to see if that helps. Most modem/router combos have problems with WiFi because they aren't very strong routers. It might be worth while just to purchase your own and let Xfinity know so they can bridge your modem.

Solution

heisnburg

Honorable
May 6, 2013

ok, because i still have my old router, so i just plug it in and call them to bridge it?

Carobthomp

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Yea, that should help improve things, you still might have some issues, but it's probably the best first step as the routers are usually pretty cheap. Let me know if they can't bridge it for you, but they should know what you're talking about.

warfinge

Reputable
May 15, 2015
Your win7 desktop may have security setting that slow your connection. Comcast tech support will bridge but wont change channels. You can easily bridge yourself buy entering the address of the WG in your browser. usually 10.0.0.1 with Comcast. Username admin/ pw- password. You can also manually change channels. Comcast has recently adopted a policy where they set channel selection to "automatic" exclusively. The reason for this is, in densely populated areas where networks overlap, a channel change is a temporary fix. That's because the moment the other networks sense a more efficient channel in their midst, they all switch to that channel and the problem is reborn. Comcast ships out like 20K self install kits a day! that doesn't include technician installs or people who pick up their equipment in stores. There are several warehouses that maintain an inventory of over 50K units. When you do the math, it's inevitable bad units are going to make their way to customers.

TRENDING THREADS