new Z370 mobos support KabyLake?

Elminst

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
We know that the new CoffeeLake CPUs will require new z370 chipset motherboards.
However my question is the other direction;
If I get a new Z370 board, will they be backwards compatible with the KabyLake CPUs?

Presumably we can expect a price drop on the Kaby's after Coffee comes out. So do we think it will be possible to future-proof the mother board while saving some $$ on the CPU? Then grabbing a Coffee CPU a few years down the road?

So far AFAIK there is no solid information on this.
However, prices do not drop with a new platform launch. Years ago this used to be the case, but intel has no reason to discount older generations when a new product launches.

Possibly but unlikely to support them since the new processors are heavily rumored to not be backwards compatible, it goes to reason that old processors would not be forwards compatible (chances are new Socket to allow for access to 2 more processing cores).

Also Intel has never done price drops in recent years (to my knowledge) on older models (look at the 6700k for example), they just phase out the processors (they do a good job at it as well, without having a big surplus).

Elminst

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017
I have a seen a couple reports say that the Z370 will support Kaby, but I guess it will mostly be "Wait and See."

The 7700K currently runs about $325, the rumor is that the 8700K will come out around $350. If they can push the 7700's down to <$300 and keep support on the z370, that would seem to be a nice upgrade path for 2-4 years. (buy 7600 or 7700 now, upgrade to 8700+ in 3+ years)

Then again, if they are gonna put out the i5-8500+ series with 6 cores at the same price as the current 4-core i5's, that doesn't leave a lot of reasons to buy a 7000 series anymore...

Intel does not see a point in giving someone incentive to buy older processors when they can charge the same price for something "better".
If the 7700k saw a price drop, it would be a better purchase for most people over the 8700k. But if they are the same price nobody would even consider the older hardware. In this sense they force you to pay retail.

Elminst

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

Yup. Makes it a bit annoying for those of us that don't care to buy the bleeding edge all the time.
I'd rather buy something that's been used/reviewed/abused for 6 months than the new thing no one's tested yet. But when it costs the same as the new one, it pisses off my wallet.

Elminst

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

I admit I'm looking more and more at the Ryzens...
I'm not doing 4K or 144fps gaming. Still gonna be using my GTX970 for probably couple years. Might go for a 2K/1440 at christmas or early next year. So i'm beginning to wonder if the 7700/8700s are a bit overkill. My current setup is a i7-920 from 2010. Would like to get 5+ years out of the upgrade.

Elminst

Reputable
Mar 7, 2017

You'd recommend a z270 mobo and say an i5-7600k over an i7-7700k or a 6 core Ryzen?

Now I'm confused.
The i7-7700's are barely $100 more than the i5's and a 6-core Ryzen and mobo are less than an i7 combo. How does an i5 keep me going for 5+ years and at least 2 GPU upgrades?

rafadorock4

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018

Sorry Bro, Intel is making boards with BIOS lock code for backwards compatibility. The same for the z270 where they blocks the coffe lake ones to work.

Probably in the future they release some update for the manufacturers, or even for high end boards such as ASUS boards for unlocked processors, or something like this... but, this is more likely to happen only on the z270 where buying a new processor would be an upgrade. But, not for the z370 for backward compatibility as they want to sell 8th generation as many as possible so they can beat AMD Ryzen 5 / 7 / ThreadRipper.

I hope I helped you..