Question New Z390 suddenly stopped working

Apr 19, 2019
Motherboard:z390 aorus pro wifi
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x 8GB
PSU: evga 850w G3

Put together a new build and it worked fine the first two days until started testing it with a game.

First crash happened when a few minutes after running the benchmark for Assassin's Creed Origins. Was montitoring CPU and GPU in msiafterburner while playing and temps looked fine. Minimized the game after the benchmark and browsed chrome for about 2 minutes before it crashed and wouldn't boot. I checked all the slots and wires to no avail then went to bed

The next day it booted successfully. After browsing the internet a few hours I tried Origins again and crashed again after 10 minutes of gameplay. I haven't been able to boot it since.

I took out the PSU and turned it on alone successfully.
Then took out the mobo, lay it on it's box and stripped everything but the CPU, heatsink+fan and ram. Hooked it up to the PSU. All lights on the mobo flash for a moment when I turn the PSU on. When I try to turn the mobo on all that happens is the PSU making 3 clicking sounds. Tried without the ram and got the same result.

My guess is that the mono was shorted but I don't understand how. My case is a Corsair 760t and it has built in stand offs at every one of the screw holes of the mobo.

Otherwise maybe it was defective from the start? But then I'm a bit jarred that it would seem to work completely fine until testing a game.

Which is more likely? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Apr 19, 2019
I replaced the motherboard. All atx connectors are attached.

Good news is that the fans will run.

Bad news is that I can't get it to post. Fans turn on for ten seconds turn of then on again. The CPU light on the motherboard is on.
I tried reseating the CPU to no avail. Looked hard as I could and didnt see any bent pins. What are the odds I got both a defective mobo and CPU? Paranoid I might have done something to fry it but I don't know what. Swear I've been handling this thing like it was bomb disposal.

R_K

Honorable
Jul 22, 2014
I replaced the motherboard. All atx connectors are attached.

Good news is that the fans will run.

Bad news is that I can't get it to post. Fans turn on for ten seconds turn of then on again. The CPU light on the motherboard is on.
I tried reseating the CPU to no avail. Looked hard as I could and didnt see any bent pins. What are the odds I got both a defective mobo and CPU? Paranoid I might have done something to fry it but I don't know what. Swear I've been handling this thing like it was bomb disposal.

Check with different PSU, and if possible check with different CPU