cp0tter

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
well at my buddies house his internet come in on the main floor. But his sister needs inet upstairs and they dont want to run cat5 up there. I havnt done much with wireless so im just inquiring to see if it will work ok for inet, what brand and protol for the cost is best. File transfering isnt a big issue but i wana make sure connectivity is stable. Any help would be great, thanks.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<""what brand and protol for the cost is best"">

the chippar the bettar (they all are practicall do the same thing)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
right. downstairs you will need an access point and upstairs in the sisters PC you will need a client card, which can be connected by ethernet, USB or PCI, there really is a huge choice in wireless cards.

Downstairs get an Access point and upstairs get a wireless card (PCI, USB or ethernet)

examples

<b>Access Points</b>

Buffalo WLA-G54 (with built in switch)
or
Netgear WG602

<b>Wireless cards</b>

Buffalo WLI-PCI-G54 PCI Bus Card (PCI wireless)
or
Buffalo WLI-TX1-G54 (external ethernet wireless)
or
Netgear WG311 (PCI wireless)
or
Netgear WGE101 (external ethernet wireless)

hope all these examples help

other good companies are D-Link, Linksys and 3com, but i don't know their range of products well. Notice that i've only included 802.1g products (54 Mbit) you can always go for b or a products, but i personally think that g is the way to go at this moment

links

www.netgear.com

www.buffalo-technology.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FiL on 11/23/03 04:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
U have to get a wireless router...... not an
Access Point(AP) unless u want to complicat things.

1. If u use an AP, u have to enable ICS on the comp to which the AP is connected and needs to be on all the time bcoz, if it is off, the second comp can't go online.

ICS is not all that stable anyway.. and also slows the first comp down.

Anyway, u should be able to get a wireless router for the same price as the wireless router.