Newbie: Asus P4G8X vs...

doctordetroit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
OK.

I want some opinions comparing two Asus mobos. On one hand is the E-7205 based P4G8X, and on the other is the 845-PE based P4PE. The first grants agp-8x (never fully utilized), allows up to 4GB-RAM but uses DDR266. The second is limited to agp-4x and 3GB-RAM, but instead offers DDR333. They both offer hyper-threading, which is only useful on XP, and with rare softwares, and both use intel chips.

One would think that the faster RAM would be an easy choice right? But what about future applications that will take advantage of AGP8x. AND, why should I be forced to buy an expensive 3.1Ghz Pentium4, just to have both a 533fsb, and AGP8x.

I'm stuck between the two, and since neither has the combination I want here is my proposal:

Asus P4DD8x (DD-for "doctor detroit")

- Intel E-8215 chipset (ddr400)
- Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz w/HT and up
- Dual Ch. DDR400 SDRAM
- ATA/133 or Raid whatever
- Military spec cooling device

Dr. D.

"Send him....to Detroit!"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The E7205 can use DUAL CHANNEL DDR, which is supposed to have twice the bandwidth of single channel, which means DDR266 Dual Channel is supposed to outperform DDR333 or even DDR400 single channel. So two sticks of DDR266 on the E7205 is supposed to outperform any number of sticks of DDR333 on the i845E. Anyway...

AGP8x exist, unused. You don't need any particular CPU to get 533FSB and AGP8x, 533 bus CPU's are available all the way down to 2.26GHz.

Next time you come up to Mount Pleasant to visit the Soaring Eagle, give Crashman a call.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

doctordetroit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
So you are saying that the 845PE is not dual channel DDR? I guess I didn't pick that up. Still, $650 for a 3.1Ghz CPU is just WAY too rich for my blood.

Soaring Eagle? Sure, I travel through there on my way to Rochester NY to visit my bro. I'll try to email next time I go that way.

Dr. D

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
I agree with Crashman the p4g8x is the way to go but pay the extra 30 bucks and get the delux model because it has onboard, SATA, and GLAN, the most compelling factor is the dual channel DDR, it takes the bus width to 256bit, which is a HUGE improvment over single channel DDR, your memory bus will move data at the exact speed as your processor, so your data moves between the memory - chipset and CPU at the same speed which equals no memory bottle neck, furthermore the SATA raises your bandwidth from your chipset to your hard drive, which further decreases bottle necks so, thats the way to go for sure.

XeeN

doctordetroit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
Actually, I live in Detroit near Gross Pointe. I take the bluewater bridge to get to Rochester to visit my Bro. I've only been to Soaring Eagle once though...

Dr. D.

As for the Intel 7205 based P4G8x, i'm debating getting that vs. the SIS 655 based asus boards. thoughts?

Dr. D.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, if you think Mount Pleasant is anywhere near Mount Clemens, you'd be mistaken, I'm about 3 hours northwest of you!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, I do have a thought on the board...watch out for review on <A HREF="http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8sq800ultra.htm" target="_new">THIS ONE</A>