Newbie help? Camcorder to DVD transfer?

lynn

Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
Lynn

On 20 Apr 2004 09:05:03 -0700, lynn.herrick@lineone.net (Lynn) wrote:
>Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
>some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
>have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
>the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
>so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
>have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
>the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
>computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
>Lynn

First, go read the tutorials at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

2nd, USB is generally not for video, you need a Firewire connection

What software was bundled with your dvd drive? Depending on what
you have, you may have few/more? options on dvd creation

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

Lynn wrote:
> Hi, I have just got a new mini dv camcorder and would like to copy
> some of the film to dvd so that I can send to family members etc. I
> have gleaned from reading the posts here that this may not result in
> the best possible quality, but I know the family all have dvd players
> so it will work best for me. The camcorder came with a usb cord and I
> have a dvd burner, but I can't seem to find a way to get the film to
> the hard drive to copy. I am a genuine newbie to video stuff (OK on
> computer) so any help or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks,
> Lynn

If you want to avoid all the hassles of buying and learning how to use the
necessary hardware and software, just buy a standalone DVD recorder and a
firewire cable. Hook your camcorder to it, transfer your footage in and
you're done. If you want rudimentary editing capabilities, buy one with an
internal hard drive.

Mike

lynn

Thanks for your help...think the DVD recorder would be my best bet.