Question [Newbie here] Bought a[Newbie here] Bought a surplus EVGA PSU. I don't know if it works or not. Can someone help me out?

Jul 4, 2021
So before anything else, I just wanted to "warn" you guys that I'm fairly new to building my own rig and have just recently started reading anything I can about computers and electronics. So excuse my lack of knowledge.

I bought a surplus EVGA Supernova G2 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular PSU for a pretty affordable price of Php 2200 ($44.80 USD). I know it's 2nd hand cause there were a couple missing cables (2 VGAs and 1 CPU cable), a scratch on the sticker, and the warranty sticker was damaged. Other than that, everything looked clean and good.

The seller performed a very simple test of plugging it in so I can see the fan work and that was pretty much it. They didn't use a multimeter or something. But I bought it right away thinking that it might be a "once in a lifetime chance" of getting a brand and model that low of a price.

So I took it home and packed it in a box so when the time comes I'm able to collect all the parts I need (GPU, Processor, SSD and a Computer case left to buy), I can assemble all of them together.

I know PSU is not something to cheap out on, but I was drawn by the reviews of this particular EVGA PSU and came to find out it was a very reliable PSU. So here I am, with the PSU in my box.

What do you guys suggest I do? Should I get a new one (last resort) ? Should I have someone test it out with a multimeter? Should I just go right ahead and connect the PSU to my build once it's ready?

Sorry for my long ass story.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
there were a couple missing cables (2 VGAs and 1 CPU cable)
How do you plan to connect everything?
Be advised, you can only use cables that were made for that specific model. There is no generic or standard pinout.

A PSU is something I would never buy used, unless I knew the provenance of it.
Buying from some random dude? Not a chance.

Jul 4, 2021
How do you plan to connect everything?
Be advised, you can only use cables that were made for that specific model. There is no generic or standard pinout.

A PSU is something I would never buy used, unless I knew the provenance of it.
Buying from some random dude? Not a chance.
I still have its 1 VGA cable (6+2). I think I don't need more than that unless I have a 2nd GPU or a very high-end GPU, which I don't plan to buy. I'm just going for a GTX 1650 Super at most. And I also have its 8 pin CPU cable, my motherboard only requires that too.

So it wasn't a stranger I bought it from, it was from a small computer shop very near my area. I've bought peripherals from them before.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I still have its 1 VGA cable (6+2). I think I don't need more than that unless I have a 2nd GPU or a very high-end GPU, which I don't plan to buy. I'm just going for a GTX 1650 Super at most. And I also have its 8 pin CPU cable, my motherboard only requires that too.

So it wasn't a stranger I bought it from, it was from a small computer shop very near my area. I've bought peripherals from them before.
Should be fine.

Jun 26, 2022
It should be ok, 850w is a lot for that sort of GPU like a GTX 1650 - the internet tells me that even 450w is enough for it. Given the high wattage even if the PSU is pretty wack I think that it should be okay as long as you have all of the right cables without taking the cables off another PSU.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS