Newbie in love with TR

I bought the whole TR series of games the other day and can't wait to play
them. I am about half way through TR1 and loving it. I have TR2/3/4/5/6
still to look forward to, but wonder how they will compare to TR1. Can
anyone sum them up for me? How I never played this game before, I haven't
got a clue, but I plan to make up for lost time now!
I had to use a walkthrough for a couple of sticky bits in TR1, but I hope
this is not cheating, is it? Speaking of 'cheats', do these cheats prevent
you from picking up items which you might need in future levels in order to
finish the game?
By 'cheat', I mean things like level skip and the likes.
Great game this TR! ;)
Eos.

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I bought the whole TR series of games the other day and can't wait to
> play them. I am about half way through TR1 and loving it. I have
> TR2/3/4/5/6 still to look forward to, but wonder how they will
> compare to TR1. Can anyone sum them up for me? How I never played
> this game before, I haven't got a clue, but I plan to make up for
> lost time now! I had to use a walkthrough for a couple of sticky bits
> in TR1, but I
> hope this is not cheating, is it? Speaking of 'cheats', do these
> cheats prevent you from picking up items which you might need in
> future levels in order to finish the game?
> By 'cheat', I mean things like level skip and the likes.
> Great game this TR! ;)
> Eos.

walkthru? Cheating? I think the most important part about anything to
do with the games is that YOU enjoy them. Level jumping will most of
the time create a break you can't go back across with contiguity in the
game. It can also cause some levels to be un-completable, if you jump
before you've found or done something needed later that you don't have
or didn't do. That's the perils of the cheat :)
McG.

I recommend you play the games in order, that way if you start at TR6
then play TR1 you will hate the graphics and stop playing, playing it in
order though that won't matter.

-Chris

Eos wrote:
> I bought the whole TR series of games the other day and can't wait to play
> them. I am about half way through TR1 and loving it. I have TR2/3/4/5/6
> still to look forward to, but wonder how they will compare to TR1. Can
> anyone sum them up for me? How I never played this game before, I haven't
> got a clue, but I plan to make up for lost time now!
> I had to use a walkthrough for a couple of sticky bits in TR1, but I hope
> this is not cheating, is it? Speaking of 'cheats', do these cheats prevent
> you from picking up items which you might need in future levels in order to
> finish the game?
> By 'cheat', I mean things like level skip and the likes.
> Great game this TR! ;)
> Eos.

I beg to differ on the point about hating the graphics on TR1 after
seeing TR6. If you play TR1 with Glidos you will be amazed at the high
resolution graphics, they are really superb!!
By all means play the series in order, that's the best, but use Glidos
on the original TR and on the Unfinished Business levels too.
(You don't need Glidos on any of the other games.)

I wish I had time to sum up the series for you Eos, but unfortunately I
don't, save to say they are all brilliant!!
Yes, use walkthroughs, especially Stella's, and get every secret, that's
the challenge!
Enjoy your Tomb Raiding!!

Regards, Phil

In message <KYb9e.23289$JO6.3268@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, Chris Spencer
<chris.spencer93@ntlworld.com> writes

--
Phil

Phil Hughes wrote:
> I beg to differ on the point about hating the graphics on TR1 after
> seeing TR6. If you play TR1 with Glidos you will be amazed at the high
> resolution graphics, they are really superb!!

I do play TR1 with Glidos, still it only reaches the graphics level of TR2

> By all means play the series in order, that's the best, but use Glidos
> on the original TR and on the Unfinished Business levels too.
> (You don't need Glidos on any of the other games.)
>
> I wish I had time to sum up the series for you Eos, but unfortunately I
> don't, save to say they are all brilliant!!
> Yes, use walkthroughs, especially Stella's, and get every secret, that's
> the challenge!
> Enjoy your Tomb Raiding!!
>
> Regards, Phil

-Chris

> In message <KYb9e.23289$JO6.3268@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, Chris Spencer
> <chris.spencer93@ntlworld.com> writes
>
>> I recommend you play the games in order, that way if you start at TR6
>> then play TR1 you will hate the graphics and stop playing, playing it
>> in order though that won't matter.
>>
>> -Chris
>>
>> Eos wrote:
>>
>>> I bought the whole TR series of games the other day and can't wait to
>>> play them. I am about half way through TR1 and loving it. I have
>>> TR2/3/4/5/6 still to look forward to, but wonder how they will
>>> compare to TR1. Can anyone sum them up for me? How I never played
>>> this game before, I haven't got a clue, but I plan to make up for
>>> lost time now!
>>> I had to use a walkthrough for a couple of sticky bits in TR1, but I
>>> hope this is not cheating, is it? Speaking of 'cheats', do these
>>> cheats prevent you from picking up items which you might need in
>>> future levels in order to finish the game?
>>> By 'cheat', I mean things like level skip and the likes.
>>> Great game this TR! ;)
>>> Eos.

Glad you are a Glidos user Chris :)
Actually, I thought TR1 running on Glidos looked sharper than TR2.
Maybe Eos can settle that for us once (s)he has completed those games.

Regards, Phil

In message <cwd9e.12672$DU6.8913@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Chris Spencer

--
Phil Hughes

"Phil Hughes" <phil@phileo.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Glad you are a Glidos user Chris :)
> Actually, I thought TR1 running on Glidos looked sharper than TR2.
> Maybe Eos can settle that for us once (s)he has completed those games.
>
> Regards, Phil
>
> In message <cwd9e.12672$DU6.8913@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Chris Spencer
> <chris.spencer93@ntlworld.com> writes
>>Phil Hughes wrote:
>>> I beg to differ on the point about hating the graphics on TR1 after
>>> seeing TR6. If you play TR1 with Glidos you will be amazed at the high
>>> resolution graphics, they are really superb!!
>>
>>I do play TR1 with Glidos, still it only reaches the graphics level of TR2
>>
>>> By all means play the series in order, that's the best, but use Glidos
>>> on the original TR and on the Unfinished Business levels too.
>>> (You don't need Glidos on any of the other games.)
>>> I wish I had time to sum up the series for you Eos, but unfortunately I
>>> don't, save to say they are all brilliant!!
>>> Yes, use walkthroughs, especially Stella's, and get every secret, that's
>>> the challenge!
>>> Enjoy your Tomb Raiding!!
>>> Regards, Phil
>>
>>-Chris
>>
>>> In message <KYb9e.23289$JO6.3268@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>, Chris Spencer
>>> <chris.spencer93@ntlworld.com> writes

> --
> Phil Hughes

Thanks guys! First of all, the 'cheats' issue....'I promise never to cheat!
;) I don't want to end up the creek without a paddle, or whatever, as I want
to finish every game completely. Glidos looks great and certainly better
than playing the game without it. I'm new to TR, but having installed TR2
already end had a look at the graphics, I'd say the TR1 with Glidos looks
smoother and more detailed than TR2, but TR2 'moves' better imho, especially
Lara and the other characters. There's something very special about the
first game though. Something I can't quite put my finger on. The graphics
have real atmosphere and are very polished looking. Just beautiful...'then
there's that haunting music!

> "Phil Hughes" <phil@phileo.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Glad you are a Glidos user Chris :)
>> Actually, I thought TR1 running on Glidos looked sharper than TR2.
>> Maybe Eos can settle that for us once (s)he has completed those
>> games. Regards, Phil
>>
>> In message <cwd9e.12672$DU6.8913@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Chris Spencer
>> <chris.spencer93@ntlworld.com> writes
>>>
>>> I do play TR1 with Glidos, still it only reaches the graphics level
>>> of TR2
>>>
>>> -Chris

>> --
>> Phil Hughes
>
> Thanks guys! First of all, the 'cheats' issue....'I promise never to
> cheat! ;) I don't want to end up the creek without a paddle, or
> whatever, as I want to finish every game completely. Glidos looks
> great and certainly better than playing the game without it. I'm new
> to TR, but having installed TR2 already end had a look at the
> graphics, I'd say the TR1 with Glidos looks smoother and more
> detailed than TR2, but TR2 'moves' better imho, especially Lara and
> the other characters. There's something very special about the first
> game though. Something I can't quite put my finger on. The graphics
> have real atmosphere and are very polished looking. Just
> beautiful...'then there's that haunting music! Eos.

I thought Laras animations in TR1 were stunning from the first time I
saw the game demo. For the quality of the character model, those
animations are incredibly realistic. Then there is the sound and music,
they certainly add to the overall quality of this game :)
McG.

Wow--to be in your shoes and experience TR1 for the first time...

Well, since you asked about what to expect in general--here is my
humble opinion:

TR1--super cool and magical, you will never be the same after playing
it

TR2--much more action oriented, some levels can be a pain in the arse,
lots and lots of swimming, cool levels like "Wreck of Maria Doria"

TR3--hmmm, this game overall was a disappointment and plays unevenly
since the locale changes are drastic. Some of the hardware/vehicles are
cool, but the game has a LOT of foliage (yikes)

TR4--Last Revelation--all Egypt, all the time...but cool. This game I
found to be a bit tedious in parts (slogging around the ruined sides of
pyramids) and this is where many camera and programming glithces
started to bug people BIG TIME. Some of the levels are interesting, but
the game has this disjointed feel since Lara does a lot of backtracking
between levels...

TR5-Chronicles--this is the game that is basically a best of Lara Croft
in that she is shown at different ages as well as past and present...I
won;t explain further so you will enjoy what happens in TR4. This game
is cool for some of the level designs, but nothing to jump up and down
about.

TR6-Angel of Darkness--daresay I say buggy? I could not finish this
game due to the bugs and the annoying way Lara moved.

lastly--keeping the fingers crossed TR7 is due out within a year or two
and I HOPE it is cool

cinefyl

Eos typed:
> I had to use a walkthrough for a couple of
> sticky bits in TR1,

Speaking of walkthroughs, I recommend reading these
at the Tomb Raider Travellers Guide:

http://www.trinity.westhost.com/tomb/

Even if you're not using walkthroughs! Why? ;) Because
it has *excellent* transcripts of the plot and cutscenes,
with some extra creative writing, so you can fill in parts
of the story that are missing (or that you've missed) as
you play each level - very useful in TR2, I found, where
you can not always hear the dialogue over the sound
effects and heavy accents. ;) It *really* enhances the
game to know what exactly is going on! ;) (Kind of like
reading the book alongside the game)

Just try to resist the temptation to read ahead, or you
might ruin it. ;) Actually I find reading the walkthrough
*after* I finish the level (whenever possible) works a
bit better for me. ;>

<*remembers the phrase about curiosity and cats*> ;)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{
Professional Devil

Total lemmings saved: 10508

Sounds like a good site, I'm gonna go check it out, thanks for the link :)

-Chris

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> I bought the whole TR series of games the other day and can't wait
> to play them. I am about half way through TR1 and loving it. I have
> TR2/3/4/5/6 still to look forward to, but wonder how they will
> compare to TR1. Can anyone sum them up for me?

TR1 has a magic that I'm not sure any of the rest quite capture. TR2
is more action-oriented (i.e., killing things). I must admit I forget
most of the rest, except for the famous AoD, which is *so* different
that it doesn't feel like TR at all; it may be a reasonable game, but
I never really got into it.

The remaining games are all pretty good---perhaps in absolute terms
better than TR1. I vaguely recall TR3 and 4 as being pretty good.
None of them engaged me in quite the way that TR1 did, but perhaps
that's inevitable.

[...]

"cinefyl" <cinefyl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Wow--to be in your shoes and experience TR1 for the first time...
>
> Well, since you asked about what to expect in general--here is my
> humble opinion:
>
> TR1--super cool and magical, you will never be the same after playing
> it

Definitely play Tombraider (the original) first! I agree, it's super
cool and 'magical'!

> TR2--much more action oriented, some levels can be a pain in the arse,
> lots and lots of swimming, cool levels like "Wreck of Maria Doria"
>
> TR3--hmmm, this game overall was a disappointment and plays unevenly
> since the locale changes are drastic. Some of the hardware/vehicles
> are cool, but the game has a LOT of foliage (yikes)

Some of TR3 came the closest of recapturing the essence of TR. The
India level and the South Pacific were more in the spirit of TR than the
rest of it. Don't forget, that in the original TR you saw very drastic
scenery changes too!
McG.

> TR4--Last Revelation--all Egypt, all the time...but cool. This game I
> found to be a bit tedious in parts (slogging around the ruined sides
> of pyramids) and this is where many camera and programming glithces
> started to bug people BIG TIME. Some of the levels are interesting,
> but the game has this disjointed feel since Lara does a lot of
> backtracking between levels...
>
> TR5-Chronicles--this is the game that is basically a best of Lara
> Croft in that she is shown at different ages as well as past and
> present...I won;t explain further so you will enjoy what happens in
> TR4. This game is cool for some of the level designs, but nothing to
> jump up and down about.
>
> TR6-Angel of Darkness--daresay I say buggy? I could not finish this
> game due to the bugs and the annoying way Lara moved.
>
> lastly--keeping the fingers crossed TR7 is due out within a year or
> two and I HOPE it is cool
>
> cinefyl

I agree--I guess there were some drastic scenery changes.

What a cool game! I still remember the first time Lara walked into the
level with the Sphinx underground...the panoramic camera swing.

Those were the days...

cinefyl

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> writes:

>> TR3--hmmm, this game overall was a disappointment and plays unevenly
>> since the locale changes are drastic. Some of the hardware/vehicles
>> are cool, but the game has a LOT of foliage (yikes)
>
> Some of TR3 came the closest of recapturing the essence of TR. The
> India level and the South Pacific were more in the spirit of TR than the
> rest of it. Don't forget, that in the original TR you saw very drastic
> scenery changes too!
> McG.

TR3 was my favorite. Or, it's what I usually think of when I think
back about tomb raider. But really, I'd just say that I prefered the
first 3 to the games that followed. It doesn't mean a lot that I pick
TR3 as my favorite, since 1 and 2 are great as well, in different
ways.

I think TR4 was a case of the developers reacting to people's
complaining, giving them what they were asking for, which turned out
to not be what people really wanted. TR4 has a lot of puzzles in it,
which is less interesting to me than adventuring.

"Frank Fredstone" <none@not.no> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> writes:
>
>>> TR3--hmmm, this game overall was a disappointment and plays unevenly
>>> since the locale changes are drastic. Some of the hardware/vehicles
>>> are cool, but the game has a LOT of foliage (yikes)
>>
>> Some of TR3 came the closest of recapturing the essence of TR. The
>> India level and the South Pacific were more in the spirit of TR than
>> the rest of it. Don't forget, that in the original TR you saw very
>> drastic scenery changes too!
>> McG.
>
> TR3 was my favorite. Or, it's what I usually think of when I think
> back about tomb raider. But really, I'd just say that I prefered the
> first 3 to the games that followed. It doesn't mean a lot that I pick
> TR3 as my favorite, since 1 and 2 are great as well, in different
> ways.
>
> I think TR4 was a case of the developers reacting to people's
> complaining, giving them what they were asking for, which turned out
> to not be what people really wanted. TR4 has a lot of puzzles in it,
> which is less interesting to me than adventuring.

Now I agree with all that Frank. Somewhere around 3/4 the way through
TR4, I did a major upgrade including hd and forgot to reinstall TR4. I
have installed it now, but mainly play user made levels. Some of them
are really very good! I am still playing through TR1,2 and 3 again :)
TR1 I am still in Peru, in 2 I am enjoying Venice and in 3 I am
restarting India.
McG.

Frank Fredstone wrote:

> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> writes:
>
> >> TR3--hmmm, this game overall was a disappointment and plays unevenly
> >> since the locale changes are drastic. Some of the hardware/vehicles
> >> are cool, but the game has a LOT of foliage (yikes)
> >
> > Some of TR3 came the closest of recapturing the essence of TR. The
> > India level and the South Pacific were more in the spirit of TR than the
> > rest of it. Don't forget, that in the original TR you saw very drastic
> > scenery changes too!
> > McG.
>
> TR3 was my favorite. Or, it's what I usually think of when I think
> back about tomb raider. But really, I'd just say that I prefered the
> first 3 to the games that followed. It doesn't mean a lot that I pick
> TR3 as my favorite, since 1 and 2 are great as well, in different
> ways.
>
> I think TR4 was a case of the developers reacting to people's
> complaining, giving them what they were asking for, which turned out
> to not be what people really wanted. TR4 has a lot of puzzles in it,
> which is less interesting to me than adventuring.

It's impossible to please everyone. I like the adventuring too, but
the puzzles are also fun. TR 4 is my favorite, but not by much.

-- G

Don't forget to do the add on levels too for each game in the correct order.
Tr1 & tr2 have extra levels for free. Tr3 has an extra addition that has to
be purchased. See stella's site for a complete listing.

Edspace

Read the story of Tomb Raider 1 here.
www.Edspace.co.uk/tombraider

"Edspace" <edspace@ntl-world.com> wrote in message
> Don't forget to do the add on levels too for each game in the correct
> order.
> Tr1 & tr2 have extra levels for free. Tr3 has an extra addition that has
> be purchased. See stella's site for a complete listing.
>
> Edspace
>
> Read the story of Tomb Raider 1 here.
> www.Edspace.co.uk/tombraider

Thanks to everyone for your terrific advice and personal experiences of TR!
It seems that TR is more than just a game to many folks...'it's a way of
life! A religion, even! Hey, I am converted already! ;) I am really going to
enjoy this adventure even if I 'am' starting out a little later than the
rest of you guys.
Cheers!
Eos.

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Eos was heard, at about
04/22/2005 09:31 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> "Edspace" <edspace@ntl-world.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don't forget to do the add on levels too for each game in the correct
>>order.
>>Tr1 & tr2 have extra levels for free. Tr3 has an extra addition that has
>>be purchased. See stella's site for a complete listing.
>>
>>Edspace
>>
>>Read the story of Tomb Raider 1 here.
>>www.Edspace.co.uk/tombraider
>

> Thanks to everyone for your terrific advice and personal experiences of TR!
> It seems that TR is more than just a game to many folks...'it's a way of
> life! A religion, even! Hey, I am converted already! ;) I am really going to
> enjoy this adventure even if I 'am' starting out a little later than the
> rest of you guys.
> Cheers!
> Eos.

My job is done here.

;)

---
PW

Ah, Motivator of Archaeological Mayhem!
Adjunct Professor of Adventuring!
Purveyor of Ponytails.

Clang! Thunk. skitter, skitter, shooosh.
The shoe comes to rest in the middle of the alley at his feet.
A rotten-mutton faced feline scurries into the darkness.

A voice from void above...
"Knock it off! Or I won't miss this time, ya bum!"

Eos,

How far did you say you were in TR1? Wait until you get to some of the
Greco-Roman levels...notably the large maze, many tiered structure in
St. Francis' Folly...Thor's room, etc.
Yikes.

Cinefyl

if you're UK based, Play has a bit of a preview of the new look Lara,
courtesy of Crystal Dynamics.

but you knew that... :)

- rob

Eos wrote:

> I bought the whole TR series of games the other day and can't wait to play
> them. I am about half way through TR1 and loving it. I have TR2/3/4/5/6
> still to look forward to, but wonder how they will compare to TR1. Can
> anyone sum them up for me? How I never played this game before, I haven't
> got a clue, but I plan to make up for lost time now!

I think TR1 is definitely the best of the bunch in terms of that "awe
inspiring nature and exploration" feel, which is why I fell in love with
the games. This is not to say the other games are bad, just that the
first was the best, imho.
TR2 was kind of annoying for the fact that most enemies spawned when
you approached their position. One of the things I really enjoyed about
TR1 was spotting the critters from a distance and planning my approach
to find a position I could kill them from.
TR3 was much the same as TR2, but with improved graphics and more moves.
TR4 (Last Revelation) was the second coolest game, I think. A highly
plot-driven story with many intriguing locales around Egypt.
TR5 (Chronicles) was fun, although the save bugs were annoying.
Seeing Lara at various points in the past and filling in the life and
times a little bit more was cool. In the end I had to cheat to finish
this game because I was unwilling to replay so many areas due to the
bugs >:I
TR6 (Angel of Darkness) is odd... I haven't actually finished it
yet, which is a bad sign as far as TR games go - that I could bring
myself to stop playing halfway through a game. They tried to blend in a
few more RPG-esque qualities, like NPCs to talk to and such. It's a bit
of an uncomfortable fit but I guess it's okay. Running around city
areas with no baddies to fight is more fun than it sounds, part of the
reason I always liked running around Lara's Mansion in the earlier games.
The gold editions of TR1-3 basically added more of the same to each
game with new treasures to hunt.

> I had to use a walkthrough for a couple of sticky bits in TR1, but I hope
> this is not cheating, is it? Speaking of 'cheats', do these cheats prevent
> you from picking up items which you might need in future levels in order to
> finish the game?

Given that puzzle solving is an important part of the (earlier)
games, I'd say using a walkthrough is a form of cheating, yes. Not that
this has stopped me from using them, of course :p
The proper cheat codes, I've never really used.