[SOLVED] Newbie NAS building help

clemsontigerblah

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2015
Considering building my own NAS for my household. NAS would plug into a router in bridge mode attached to my Google Wifi Mesh network (I know, not ideal for transfer speeds but house not wired for networking)
Intended uses:
-Running backups of computers in household (currently 3 PCs, but when my kids get old will need to add at least 2 more probably) Using Backblaze cloud but have terrible internet so getting data back would take forever
-Archive of family pictures, videos etc
-Archive of wife's professional photography sessions (raw images are very bulky and fill up HD fast)
-Maybe use as a media/PLEX server in future?
-Total storage needs for now is <10TB but expect it to grow as my wife's business grows

I have retired PC I was thinking of using as a NAS.
Specs
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+
AMD FX-6300 Black Edition
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3
Seasonic S12II 520
2 case choices Thermaltake Chaser A41 or COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

My experience:
Built several PCs before and am fairly proficient (was a computer engineer in college but now a surgeon so basically most of that knowledge went bye bye)
I have never used RAID before and networking experience is minimal (ex. never run a server before)
I don't have a ton of time to tinker and figure things out (surgeon + 2 toddlers)

Questions:
1.) HD choices, WD red vs Seagate Ironwolf vs other?
2) Is FreeNAS the way to go? Would it be too intimidating for a relative newbie like myself (again, don't have a ton of time to tinker)?
3.) Was thinking of doing RAID 6 or RAIDZ2, but am wondering how much more difficult this would make things for me? I've heard to stick with software RAID controller rather than hardware (which I don't have anyway), thoughts?
4.) Any hardware changes you would make other than a new PSU (is gold/platinum necessary?) If I wanted to use the 5.25 bays of the cases to hotswap drives,I assume I would needs some kind of a RAID controller right? Or, is this overkill for my needs?
5.) Is it even worth me doing this ? (i.e should I just get a Synology DS418 or other prebuilt, use their native OS, and call it a day? )

Thanks for your input.

Solution
Considering building my own NAS for my household. NAS would plug into a router in bridge mode attached to my Google Wifi Mesh network (I know, not ideal for transfer speeds but house not wired for networking)
Intended uses:
-Running backups of computers in household (currently 3 PCs, but when my kids get old will need to add at least 2 more probably) Using Backblaze cloud but have terrible internet so getting data back would take forever
-Archive of wife's professional photography sessions (raw images are very bulky and fill up HD fast)
-Total storage needs for now is <10TB but expect it to grow as my wife's business grows

I have retired PC I...

kanewolf

Titan
Intended uses:

I have retired PC I was thinking of using as a NAS.
Specs
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+
AMD FX-6300 Black Edition
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3
Seasonic S12II 520
2 case choices Thermaltake Chaser A41 or COOLER MASTER Centurion 5

My experience:
Built several PCs before and am fairly proficient (was a computer engineer in college but now a surgeon so basically most of that knowledge went bye bye)
I have never used RAID before and networking experience is minimal (ex. never run a server before)
I don't have a ton of time to tinker and figure things out (surgeon + 2 toddlers)

Questions:
1.) HD choices, WD red vs Seagate Ironwolf vs other?
2) Is FreeNAS the way to go? Would it be too intimidating for a relative newbie like myself (again, don't have a ton of time to tinker)?
3.) Was thinking of doing RAID 6 or RAIDZ2, but am wondering how much more difficult this would make things for me? I've heard to stick with software RAID controller rather than hardware (which I don't have anyway), thoughts?
4.) Any hardware changes you would make other than a new PSU (is gold/platinum necessary?) If I wanted to use the 5.25 bays of the cases to hotswap drives,I assume I would needs some kind of a RAID controller right? Or, is this overkill for my needs?
5.) Is it even worth me doing this ? (i.e should I just get a Synology DS418 or other prebuilt, use their native OS, and call it a day? )

Thanks for your input.
Buy a commercial NAS and have it physically near your primary router so that it is ethernet connected to the network.
Commercial NAS are plug and play and way more energy efficient.

Solution