[SOLVED] Newbie needs help with AMD 460

Nov 24, 2020
I have an older Lenovo H415 I am trying to add to. It currently has:

CPU
A6-3600 with integrated graphics (
(AMD HD 3650D)
280 watt power
Windows 10

I got an AMD Rx 460 GPU but when I placed it in the PCIe port the computer didn’t detect it. I tried to download the drivers but it says it’s only detecting the old integrated card. Is it not compatible? Is there not enough power?

I am new at this so any help would be appreciated.

Solution
What I see as the "maybe a win" part of this:

That case appears to be a standard MicroATX. I would check to see that the case connectors for the power button is a standard two pole rectangular plug. If so.....

Even if you were to pick a (used) A320 motherboard and an R3 1200 along with a cheap set of DDR4 2666 RAM you would be SO far surpassing your current system. TBH the price point and availability on newer items is VERY attractive. This is all very dependent on whether or not you have a budget to work with. Tomorrow (can be) a good shopping day. I don't expect very many spectacular or available deals this year.

As a side note- the recommended spec on minimum PSU for that card is ~350W

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
First, the card is too power hungry for that tiny PSU. I'm afraid you are out of luck.
Second, you must still have your video cable plugged into the integrated video port. It needs to plug into the RX 460.
Third, the card requires a 6-pin power connector. What are you powering it with?

Nov 24, 2020
Should I upgrade the power supply?
I tried to plug it into both. When the plug in the card and restart the pc I get no video out from either. I have to take it out for the integrated to work again
It doesn’t have any power port, it only plugs into the PCIe slot

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It was used and did work in the previous pc
It doesn’t have a fan. I attached a link of it

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-1220MHz-Heatsink-Graphic-RX-460P2HFG5/dp/B01LRWU806
I see. The PSU is too small to power the card under gaming load, but it should still work at idle (like booting the PC and loading W10). If the card works, your monitor is plugged into the card (not the iGPU), and the card is fully seated in the slot, I see no reason it shouldn't at least produce a display at boot.

Are there any settings in BIOS that reference whether you use the integrated video or the PCIe slot? It should switch to whichever has the monitor attached, but OEM PCs are sometimes flaky.

Nov 24, 2020
Yea I there 3 settings in Bios, auto, PCE and integrated. I tried switching it.

One thing that was odd is if I have the card in the PCIe slot and I’m still connected to the iGPU I get no signal to my monitor. Only after I take out the card and reboot can I get a signal to my monitor through the iGPU

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, since the gpu is proven to actually work...

Curse old prebuilts and their custom bioses, that card is likely not compatible with the motherboard.
Odds are that you can't put any gpu in that board newer than GTX 700 series(Nvidia) and Radeon R9 series(AMD).

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
What I see as the "maybe a win" part of this:

That case appears to be a standard MicroATX. I would check to see that the case connectors for the power button is a standard two pole rectangular plug. If so.....

Even if you were to pick a (used) A320 motherboard and an R3 1200 along with a cheap set of DDR4 2666 RAM you would be SO far surpassing your current system. TBH the price point and availability on newer items is VERY attractive. This is all very dependent on whether or not you have a budget to work with. Tomorrow (can be) a good shopping day. I don't expect very many spectacular or available deals this year.

As a side note- the recommended spec on minimum PSU for that card is ~350W

Solution