Newbie overclocking question

Ty Moore

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
I’m very new to overclocking so what I may say might sound really stupid but when I was overclocking my i5 6600k to 4.3 ghz i realised my voltage was sitting at 1.308 and the highest it got to was 1.320 and I’m using the base voltage of 1.3, so the question is will exceeding the voltage limit by .08-0.20 cause problems?

No matter what you "set" it at, it's going to fluctuate somewhat.

.20 is NOT the same as .020v though, and if your base is 1.3 and it's ranging as high as 1.320 that would mean you have a variance of .008 to .020, not .08 to .20. So, which of these is correct?

Is the core voltage set for 1.3v and you are seeing it go as high as 1.320v? Is that right?

Ty Moore

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

You are right.... im an idiot. it goes up to 1.320 sometimees

That's fine. 1.32 is well within allowable tolerances. My 6700k is set with a core voltage of 1.325 and it mildly fluctuates below and above that even with most of the adaptive voltage settings turned off. If you don't want core speeds and voltage to fluctuate as much you can set the windows power profile to performance in control panel power options, but I don't recommend it.

Your CPU will run much cooler and have a lot longer lifespan if it can reduce it's working clock speed and voltage when a core is not needed to be at full speed. Cores that are always at full speed tend to stay hot because they never get the chance to cool down. I generally set systems to the performance profile and THEN I go into the advanced settings on the profile and change the processor power management setting to minimum of 5-10% and of course the maximum should be 100%.

Are you overclocking this manually, in the bios, or are using a bios or windows utility preset to overclock?