Newbie Q: Will router stand alone (for long)?

Hooray, broadband is in my area, it's been a long wait...

So, I'm going for AOL Broadband Gold with a Netgear DG834G Wireless
Router, and I see I have to connect a PC to the router to set it up
(using ethernet cable).

Q1: After setup, can I disconnect the PC and have the router run
"standalone", serving my various client PC's in wireless mode?

Q2: Should I expect to need to reconfigure or troubleshoot the router
much, and if so can I now do this via any client PC in wireless mode,
or must I connect the original PC again (by wire)?

PS I'm in the UK. Thanks...

babel2017@aol.com (babel2017) wrote:
>Q1: After setup, can I disconnect the PC and have the router run
>"standalone", serving my various client PC's in wireless mode?

Yes. You may even be able to set it up in wireless mode, though as
you change the configuration you may need to chase it around with your
laptop. Change the password, log back in, change the SSID, reconnect,
change the channel, reconnect, set up {WPA,WEP} keys, reconnect, etc.
If you get one step wrong, do a hard reset and start over from
scratch.

>Q2: Should I expect to need to reconfigure or troubleshoot the router
>much, and if so can I now do this via any client PC in wireless mode,
>or must I connect the original PC again (by wire)?

If you are connected, you can probably fiddle with it, though if you
are having connectivity problems, or want to upgrade the firmware, you
will need to have a hardwired connection. It's not hard to do, and
your router may even come with an Ethernet cable...