Newbie question about HDD and booting

Erutangis

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I bought a used PC on eBay and it appeared to have another 1TB hard drive inside. Upon opening it up, lo and behold, there were actually two 1TB hard drives inside! So I thought I could remove them and sell them or something. But when I did, on rebooting, the computer was looking for a network location via DHCP and wouldn't boot up.

So I restarted (with the drives still removed) and chose "Boot options." The options were the HDD, the DVD drive, or Realtek Boot Agent. None of the three worked.

I looked at the properties for the two extra drives and the Disk Type is Dynamic. My primary drive is set to Basic.

I put the drives back in and everything is back to normal.

So, what's going on here? Is it set up as a RAID perhaps? And what do I have to do to pull one or both of these extra drives out?

HP/Compaq dx2400 MT
Win7

First, make sure that the HDDs show up in my Computer as separate disks. If not, they are probably set up in a RAID.
Second, from your post it appears there are 3 HDDs in that system, is that correct? If so, probably the RAID was set as the bootable array, while the third one was the storage/data disk.
The best way for you would be to clean-install OS on the HDD that you want to set as system disk (while only that HDD is connected) by selecting the DVD drive as the first bootable device and booting from the OS DVD. Then, you could add extra HDDs as storage and whatever you may need.

Erutangis

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
House,
There are indeed three disks. The two extra disks appear as one so they must be set up as a RAID.

I did a clean install of Win7 Home Premium but don't remember any steps related to these extra disks. At this point I'd hate to reinstall the OS since it takes so long to reconfigure everything. Really, all I want to do is remove these extra disks.

Any idea why it would look for a DHCP address at bootup when they're removed?

Thanks!

Erutangis

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

But I never removed the primary drive with the OS on it, so not sure why it doesn't find this drive when the extra two drives are pulled out.

Is the OS on the single drive, or on the RAID? If it is on the RAID, it will not boot from the single drive when the RAID HDDs are out. If it is on the single drive, it should boot from it; if so, I would reset the BIOS to the default values and try again.

Erutangis

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011

The OS is on the single smaller drive, so logically it should boot up. Kept thinking back to the old days of SCSI drive termination, etc.

I'll try fiddling with the BIOS to see if that works. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS